• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My D800 is initially disappointed by PP Studio 11
I've used Portrait Pro 10 Standard for awhile, and while I have trouble toning it down enough to look real, my wife likes the results, and I am happy with that. I just now updated to 11 to get the automatic masking feature, which is great. I upgraded to Studio for the batch access, looks interesting. And for RAW, mostly just because it was there, why not?

I should have realized, it's my own fault, but while it can read RAW files, it does not read Adobe ACR editing parameters, so I get raw RAW, not edited raw, which is of no use to me. I should have known, but I can work around it.

But if I give it a Nikon D800 36 megapixel file (108 MB RGB file), it fails. It reads the file, and does all the editing, and only thing remaining is to save a JPG file. Task Manager says PP has used 1GB of memory so far (I have 16GB). Win7 64 should make 2GB available to any 32 bit program (twice what it has used so far). But when saving JPG, Portrait Professional climbs to 1.3GB memory, and quits, says out of memory, says I should buy the $118 64 bit version. The RGB file is only 0.1GB, and it is at 1.0GB, and all that remains is to save JPG to disk, and it cannot. So this failure seems artificial to me, perhaps just marketing? Certainly less than optimum.

I actually tried the Trial first, just to be sure, but of course, the Trail will not save files. Neither will the purchased one, it turns out. Very disappointing. Photoshop 32 has no issue saving the 0.1GB image to JPG on disk. This needs some revision, pretty quick.

(11-17-2012, 07:35 PM)Wayne Wrote: I've used Portrait Pro 10 Standard for awhile, and while I have trouble toning it down enough to look real, my wife likes the results, and I am happy with that. I just now updated to 11 to get the automatic masking feature, which is great. I upgraded to Studio for the batch access, looks interesting. And for RAW, mostly just because it was there, why not?

I should have realized, it's my own fault, but while it can read RAW files, it does not read Adobe ACR editing parameters, so I get raw RAW, not edited raw, which is of no use to me. I should have known, but I can work around it.

But if I give it a Nikon D800 36 megapixel file (108 MB RGB file), it fails. It reads the file, and does all the editing, and only thing remaining is to save a JPG file. Task Manager says PP has used 1GB of memory so far (I have 16GB). Win7 64 should make 2GB available to any 32 bit program (twice what it has used so far). But when saving JPG, Portrait Professional climbs to 1.3GB memory, and quits, says out of memory, says I should buy the $118 64 bit version. The RGB file is only 0.1GB, and it is at 1.0GB, and all that remains is to save JPG to disk, and it cannot. So this failure seems artificial to me, perhaps just marketing? Certainly less than optimum.

I actually tried the Trial first, just to be sure, but of course, the Trail will not save files. Neither will the purchased one, it turns out. Very disappointing. Photoshop 32 has no issue saving the 0.1GB image to JPG on disk. This needs some revision, pretty quick.

Wayne,

I hate to sound redundant, but if you have not already, you need to open a support ticket at:

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/supp...ket_submit

Thanks for your understanding.
PortraitProfessional Forum

(11-17-2012, 08:11 PM)tebogan Wrote: Wayne,

I hate to sound redundant, but if you have not already, you need to open a support ticket at:

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/supp...ket_submit

Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks, I will (and did).

Does your workflow include Lightroom? Perhaps you can try using the Lightroom plugin, it returns the changes to Lightroom instead of writing it to a JPG.

(11-19-2012, 01:06 PM)Rawit Wrote: Does your workflow include Lightroom? Perhaps you can try using the Lightroom plugin, it returns the changes to Lightroom instead of writing it to a JPG.

I use Photoshop CS5 instead of Lightroom. In a test of "one", the image was returned to Photoshop from the plug in (and of course, it recognizes the previous Adobe edits too). Task Manager says Portrait Professional only got to 1.2 GB memory that way (very slightly less than the standalone, which fails).

But that rules out use of the Batch mode in the Studio version. I'm not sure of Batch mode yet, but in a studio sequence of all the same thing, it seemed like it could be useful, now that it does auto detect.

Hi Wayne,

We've just released an update to version 11 numbered 11.1.2 that may resolve this issue. Can you please download and install the update and see if it has fixed these problems.

We're sorry that you had to experience this issue in the first place, but hopefully it should be working properly.

Please let us know and I'll immediately take a look if the issue is persisting.

Arjun
Anthropics Technology Ltd.

(11-20-2012, 03:29 PM)Arjun Wrote: Hi Wayne,

We've just released an update to version 11 numbered 11.1.2 that may resolve this issue. Can you please download and install the update and see if it has fixed these problems.

We're sorry that you had to experience this issue in the first place, but hopefully it should be working properly.

Please let us know and I'll immediately take a look if the issue is persisting.

Arjun

Yes, it worked now, 36 megapixel save completes well, uneventfully. Thank you, I'm happy.