• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dark Circles under Eyes
Does anyone out there have any good advice for removing dark circles under the eyes?  (Don't add any jokes about getting more sleep!)  I've tried the touch up brush but it often just spreads the dark circles out across more of the face.  I've tried the lightening skin controls but they tend to effect more of the face than I'd like.  I'd really just like to lighten the skin immediately under the person's eyes.  What things have you tried that seemed to work well dealing with this? I'll include the unretouched photo for an example.    

Removing large dark areas like that can be tricky. The touchup brush is a good approach, however, the key to getting the best results is to make sure your brush strokes only cover the pixels you want to fix, and nothing else. Other than that, the relight slider in the skin lighting controls is probably your best bet. We are thinking of adding an eyebag slider in the future. I take it you would be interested in that?

Also, I hope you don't mind unsolicited advice, but in this picture, you've got the focus on the blue hoodie just behind your subject, which means your subject is out of focus.

Tony

I'd love this feature, too, please!

Thanks very much,

Fiona.

admin Wrote:Removing large dark areas like that can be tricky.   The touchup brush is a good approach, however, the key to getting the best results is to make sure your brush strokes only cover the pixels you want to fix, and nothing else.   Other than that, the relight slider in the skin lighting controls is probably your best bet. We are thinking of adding an eyebag slider in the future.  I take it you would be interested in that?

Also, I hope you don't mind unsolicited advice, but in this picture, you've got the focus on the blue hoodie just behind your subject, which means your subject is out of focus.  

Tony

Thanks for the focus comment.  You're absolutely correct on that one.  With regards to the brush, can brush size, in addition to the accuracy of my brush strokes, provide a lightening effect under the eyes?  ...and yes, I'd be interested in a eyebag slider in the future!

Yes, if the dark area under the eyes is brushed accurately it will have a lightening affect. Depending on the size and darkness of the area, it might not completely remove it however.

Tony

As a person with dark circles naturally....I would love a brush
And a slider that would allow you to spot lighten or darken skin areas. Right now I try to lighten the under eye area in Paint Shop or Photoshop prior to going into PP. PP is so good at blending the skin tones that I really don't have to be that accurate with my touch ups in Pain Shop or Photoshop...so I just spend a few minutes prior to PP...not much of a bother or time....love PP

admin Wrote:Removing large dark areas like that can be tricky.   The touchup brush is a good approach, however, the key to getting the best results is to make sure your brush strokes only cover the pixels you want to fix, and nothing else.   Other than that, the relight slider in the skin lighting controls is probably your best bet. We are thinking of adding an eyebag slider in the future.  I take it you would be interested in that?

Tony
Thanks Tony. I'd definitely like an eyebag slider or a "lightening" touch up brush. You're definitely right on the slightly missed focus. I'm off by about an inch! Any advice for getting focus dead on. It's sometimes hard to even see this in the viewfinder when manual focusing and autofocus, even in spot metering mode, can not always deliver perfect results.

Thanks to everyone involved here. I needed some feedback on this issue today and I appreciate everyone who contributed. Smile

David, the new version of PP has an eye bag slider. Perhaps that is your best option. It is under the skin smoothing control.