• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Extreme touch-up
(02-07-2011, 08:53 PM)Raveonoke Wrote: Hi all Smile Ok Im a newbie and wanted to share this image as wanted to try and show you dont have to be a model that needs a little touch up ! I used this lady to test PP before i purchased, and as they say i was so happy with results i got the full studio version.!!

Oh and most of the program is straight forward no "how to use" book needed however switching from full screen and back took me browsing FAQ to find answer..

And.. Any tips on eyes that are half covered with hair would help.

Dave..

I just got PP and reading everything on the forum. When I saw those pictures I thought it is a little too much. For myself I copied the photos and retouched the last photo with PS by adding at 33% the main caracter lines. I hope you dont mind if I did that. It was for myself as a practice but I send it to you just to show the difference.
Louise

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

MissLouWiseShy

Louise

I realise the touch up was extreme and was actually my first ever with a trial version I now have version 10 and a lot better lol but thanks for the time in having a play I will do a new one

Cheers Dave

Ravenonoke... While the technical touchup using PP is darn good.. it does not represent the actual person. What you can do and what you should do are sometimes miles apart.
In my view there are lines in the sand a photographer/retoucher should not cross. While I think your grasp of the software seems good you have stepped over a line the ethical line. I hope you have not given this photo to the subject.
PhotoproFX

Sad
(02-07-2011, 08:53 PM)Raveonoke Wrote: Hi all Smile Ok Im a newbie and wanted to share this image as wanted to try and show you dont have to be a model that needs a little touch up ! I used this lady to test PP before i purchased, and as they say i was so happy with results i got the full studio version.!!

Oh and most of the program is straight forward no "how to use" book needed however switching from full screen and back took me browsing FAQ to find answer..

Dave..

Interesting point. In the end, the client would make the final call as to what they want, but how do you as a photographer/ post photo work know when to draw the line? If you can knock off 10 years and remove a skin blemish, why wouldn't you?
I am answering my own question, but without the client sitting right next to you and unless the client asked for a glamour shot ( for lack of a better term ), then the limit to touch up seems to be when the picture starts to loose it's original characteristics. IMHO

(02-18-2012, 08:52 PM)photoprofx Wrote: Ravenonoke... While the technical touchup using PP is darn good.. it does not represent the actual person. What you can do and what you should do are sometimes miles apart.
In my view there are lines in the sand a photographer/retoucher should not cross. While I think your grasp of the software seems good you have stepped over a line the ethical line. I hope you have not given this photo to the subject.
PhotoproFX

Sad

Dave..

(02-19-2012, 03:16 PM)photorp Wrote: Interesting point. In the end, the client would make the final call as to what they want, but how do you as a photographer/ post photo work know when to draw the line? If you can knock off 10 years and remove a skin blemish, why wouldn't you?
I am answering my own question, but without the client sitting right next to you and unless the client asked for a glamour shot ( for lack of a better term ), then the limit to touch up seems to be when the picture starts to loose it's original characteristics. IMHO

(02-18-2012, 08:52 PM)photoprofx Wrote: Ravenonoke... While the technical touchup using PP is darn good.. it does not represent the actual person. What you can do and what you should do are sometimes miles apart.

PhotoproFX

Sad

Dave..

Each photographer has to make that decision as how far to take it. Me, five years is the maximum.
As an artist the client does not call the shots on my work! The ethical line is an important concept to get your head around- but you need to get your head around it! Some people are not photogenic and that is just the facts of life. You take a photo, retouch it, make sure the white balance is right and remove 'some' of the age or blemishes.
The client may be paying the bill.. but ask yourself why they came to you?
PhotoProFx

Sad 
This post has been up a while now and i thought i would add a comment.. for all you PRO photographers, Critique or other.. You all seem to have missed the point. This was my very first post.. and i had put up the words EXTREME touch up meaning i took it to the extreme... To get the best from PP you dont need to go to the EXTREME you can just smooth a few freckles, remove a Spot or two, enhance a smile or brighten up eyes.. Most times the subject might not even notice that you have made changes except you... My First reaction after downloading a trial version of PP was If you can do EXTREME you can also do some very nice softer alterations and you can.. I now have the full version 10 and will update as PP releases more. I Use PS CS3 and some changes that can be done in PP would take me a lot longer in CS3 to get the same result..

The thing is Im a lot better now and use PP for gentle alterations EXTREME was just a TRIAL.. I have enjoyed this post.. :0)

Dave

(02-20-2012, 10:26 PM)Raveonoke Wrote: This post has been up a while now and i thought i would add a comment.. for all you PRO photographers, Critique or other.. You all seem to have missed the point. This was my very first post.. and i had put up the words EXTREME touch up meaning i took it to the extreme... To get the best from PP you dont need to go to the EXTREME you can just smooth a few freckles, remove a Spot or two, enhance a smile or brighten up eyes.. Most times the subject might not even notice that you have made changes except you... My First reaction after downloading a trial version of PP was If you can do EXTREME you can also do some very nice softer alterations and you can.. I now have the full version 10 and will update as PP releases more. I Use PS CS3 and some changes that can be done in PP would take me a lot longer in CS3 to get the same result..

The thing is Im a lot better now and use PP for gentle alterations EXTREME was just a TRIAL.. I have enjoyed this post.. :0)

Dave

We "PRO" photographers have an obligation to pay it forward to those just making it to a new level. The 'extreme' was noted and as such a obligation was necessary hence the comments.
I know I just hate to hear anything negative about my work, but it sometimes has to be said. Wether you are new, old or someplace between a comment or an opinion is always helpful.
Don't let me or anyone tell you what you can do or not do, that is totally up to you and your artistic taste. Just be mindful when you put it out there you are asking for "Wadda think?" and sometimes the voice that comes in from the darkness can sound harsh or downright rude.
But, the think is this, put the essence of the comment in the bag of tricks you are building because someday you will use that trick or tip.
Art is just that art! Perception is the most complex of all the things a human can think about or emote. There are no rules hard or fast just rules of thirds, F stops, ISO's, white balance and some easy math to overcome. The end product, if you like that product has done it's job to please the artist.
Like cooking, as applied chemisty, you need to use the right amounts of each ingredient to make what ever it is tast and look great. Like someone I admire very much in the photography world the difference between a good photo and one that wow's might be a tweek in the contrast or some other very small thing. Like lighting a set, it is a matter of inches.
Keep up the good work and listen to others it really does help in the long run!
PhotoProFX

Photoprofx your comments and others are appreciated and I trust others who read this post find bits that help them, To clear things up The photo taken was the worst I could find and again i did an extreme touch up to test PP. I underline the fact that I over cooked the picture just to see what would happen and DON'T expect others to go this far and as I've said sometimes a little can be alot.

PP ain't going to make you a better photographer but for some it's an easy option to help edit photos in a way that even with very good photoshop or other picture editing skills would take alot longer.. That's the point this EXTreme post is rearly trying to get over.

Raveonoke

Im glad this post seems to have had a few people view...
ive decided to add some not as EXtreme touch ups

Photography and editing is just for relaxation to me..

Raveonoke

(02-21-2012, 10:53 PM)Raveonoke Wrote: Im glad this post seems to have had a few people view...
ive decided to add some not as EXtreme touch ups

Photography and editing is just for relaxation to me..

Raveonoke

Now you are cooking!
I can't resist... good photos. The little lady.. less headroom.. this is a rule of thirds thing.

BUT... you are certainly on the right tracks here.

PhotoProFX