• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new to this forum and have one question
I am sure I will have tons of questions in future. I guess this site is associated with a portrait software product, looks interesting.

I am looking for a place where I can get feedback on portraits. I am just getting started and need to get up to snuff when it comes to learning about lighting. I have several very useful books but there is nothing like actual practice. I do have a young lady that is willing to do "do overs" so if I can get a nice pose but do not have the lighting nailed, I can try again, which I think will be valuable.

One question for now -

Can a small LED light come in handy for accent lighting? I have been tempted to get a Flolight product so I have a light soucre for the video cabability of my DSLR. I am thinking this could also come in handy as a accent light where it would be hard to place a regular studio light. For example, I saw a photo of a model lying down and her hair was backlit (thinking the light had to be very near the floor).

Thanks - Gary

Have a look at Stuart Little's blog at http://www.alittlephotoshop.com/
There are loads of free tutorials to download and if you have something specific which isn't covered in any of the tutorials Stu is very helpful and would, I'm sure, provide you with the help you need.

Gary i think you should go for MicroBeam - FloLight. This LED is coming in 3 ranges 128, 256 and 512. You can get it on amazon.com!

Hi Gary,

There is a web site called prophotolife.com which has several video tutorials on lighting from one light to several. Hope this helps.

Malcolm

gstepic Wrote:I am sure I will have tons of questions in future. I guess this site is associated with a portrait software product, looks interesting.

I am looking for a place where I can get feedback on portraits. I am just getting started and need to get up to snuff when it comes to learning about lighting. I have several very useful books but there is nothing like actual practice. I do have a young lady that is willing to do "do overs" so if I can get a nice pose but do not have the lighting nailed, I can try again, which I think will be valuable.

One question for now -

Can a small LED light come in handy for accent lighting? I have been tempted to get a Flolight product so I have a light soucre for the video cabability of my DSLR. I am thinking this could also come in handy as a accent light where it would be hard to place a regular studio light. For example, I saw a photo of a model lying down and her hair was backlit (thinking the light had to be very near the floor).

Thanks - Gary
Serious About Photography - Alexam Images

Unless you REALLY know what you are doing, a small light source is the wrong way to go.
The larger, and closer, a light source, the softer it is (despite what many will say!).