• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V 17 color shift
Hi,
I must say I did not have this issue with version 15 but in Studio version of PP 17 each time I open an image in PP 17 there is drastic color shift in preview window mostly towards red and that makes the touch up process difficult. Of course saved image of my work looks normal. I've been back and forth with support but so far no cure. Has anybody else experienced this issue. I run this software on Mac Pro 2012 64GB of RAM/Sierra. it does not matter if I use it as a plug-in to PS CS6 or standalone the preview window always come up with the color shift. Thanks

I'm getting the same problem.

Using Portrait Pro 17 as a plugin from Photoshop CS6, and working with sRGB embedded files.

Colour shift is either more red, or over saturated. Only when viewing in Portrait Pro - the saved / exported image back to PS is fine... so this for me is just a viewing issue, but makes life difficult.

Mac,
OS 10.11.6 (E Capitan)

I'm having the same issue on Mac OS. I've tried updating to their 17.2.3.0 as they suggested in a support ticket but that didn't help.  I've tried various permutations on the Color tab in their prefs and I haven't found a combination there that fixed it either.   In the sample below I only have the Before showing for Portrait Pro and it's clearly more saturated/contrasty. After any changes are applied then in LR the colors aren't saturated and you see the corrections. I'm not sure if it matters but I'm running with a color corrected profile for my monitor(s).

Sample Side by side

Looking at your example, that's exactly what I've got too. I'm running calibrated Eizo monitors and I very much doubt that's the issue.

I've had to uninstall vs17 and reinstall vs15. Vs15 works just fine.

I've raised a ticket with them, so let's see what happens. I did have over saturated preview images on Fundy Designer and it turned out to be an OpenCVL issue - however they had an easy way of turning off OpenCL to avoid the problem and that's not the case with PP.

I'm surprised this got through R&D.

(10-31-2017, 03:08 AM)morad Wrote: Hi,
I must say I did not have this issue with version 15 but in Studio version of PP 17 each time I open an image in PP 17 there is drastic color shift in preview window mostly towards red and that makes the touch up process difficult. Of course saved image of my work looks normal. I've been back and forth with support but so far no cure. Has anybody else experienced this issue. I run this software on Mac Pro 2012 64GB of RAM/Sierra. it does not matter if I use it as a plug-in to PS CS6 or standalone the preview window always come up with the color shift. Thanks

Hi morad,
You might want to check the working color space of your images going into PPv17. Also check your working color space in PPv17 by clicking on File>Settings>Color Tab.
For instance if you're working in CS6 most likely your working color space is ProPhoto RGB. If so then set your working color space in PPv17 at ProPhoto RGB or ISO22028-2 ROMM RGB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProPhoto_RGB_color_space

Make sure the working color spaces match and you might find your color shift problem is gone. That's what happened to me and how I corrected it.

(11-01-2017, 10:12 PM)DJA Wrote: I've tried all sorts of permutations with color space including ones below without any resolution. Also on Mac OS and v17

Hi morad,
You might want to check the working color space of your images going into PPv17. Also check your working color space in PPv17 by clicking on File>Settings>Color Tab.
For instance if you're working in CS6 most likely your working color space is ProPhoto RGB. If so then set your working color space in PPv17 at ProPhoto RGB or ISO22028-2 ROMM RGB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProPhoto_RGB_color_space

Make sure the working color spaces match and you might find your color shift problem is gone. That's what happened to me and how I corrected it.

(11-01-2017, 10:24 PM)miroperez@hotmail.com Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 10:12 PM)DJA Wrote: I've tried all sorts of permutations with color space including ones below without any resolution. Also on Mac OS and v17

Hi morad,

I'm not sure what's going on with your system. Even though I work on a PC using the Windows 7 Pro operating system I had the problem that started this thread when I upgraded to PP Studio v15. I've been using PP Studio since V10 and never experienced the problem until v15.

As I said I never had a problem until I upgraded to V15. There are a couple of other thoughts to consider. My workflow is I first shoot exclusively in RAW then edit in LR. On many occasions I will take a photo from LR to CS6 to do further editing then return to LR before exporting the photo to file then to PP Studio. The reason I do it this way is because When I moved an image out of LR using the plugin mode I was experiencing all sorts of problems including the color shift.

Once I started exporting to file then to PP Studio, my problems were resolved. After doing all of my edits in PP Studio the first thing I do is "Save the Session" which is a feature that PP Studio has but I'm not sure it's also in PP Standard. After saving the session I then save my image to a Tiff file. The last step in the workflow is to open the image in CS6 and make sure the working space is still ProPhoto RGB. the save it.

Yes I know that a lot of extra steps. I do it because using PP as a plugin in Lightroom causes major headaches for me. For some reason or another the return trip either didn't have the edits I preformed in PP or the color shifts were really wide. The change in workflow along with the color space match solved those problems for me.

Every situation is different and maybe what works for me on Windows doesn't work on a MAC. To be honest I had several photographer friends that were running LR on a Mac laptop that eventually changed to a Windows laptop.

If you have time and haven't tried it before, export your image to file instead of using the LR plugin and see what happens.

Hi, I tried many different settings but nothing worked on PP V17.2.3! still I got the color shift but when I use V15 everything looks fine so I am puzzled.
I even tried it on my other Mac with Yosemite and CS5 and got the same color shift with PP V17.

My first response from Portrait Pro was a standard cut-and-paste response. They ask about colourspace etc.

I am using vs17 in its default settings which uses the image's embedded colourspace (sRGB for me). Images are exported from Photoshop via the plugin.

I replied, but they're not very quick in getting back. Seems like they've overlooked a big bug for this version.

Yes, the answer isn't jump to Windows, it's fix the issue. Other plugin vendors don't have this issue - it's obviously a software issue.