Portrait Pro Forums

Full Version: Skin looks like Scales??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am only just now going through this program trying to grasp it..seems pretty good for now, but seeing some issues with what I do here.
When I go into do skin only, then brush the brush around on the skin bits, this is what I get, hope you can see it. This is a screen shot of the problem.
Thanks.
I think.
[attachment=215]
Can you post the original so everyone can see what raw material you started with ?
Yes I can, thanks for asking, hope this will help..[attachment=217]
Ok, here is two more, not so obvious, and this went through the regular stuff..I even tried to cut back some of the adjustments as I think they are going to far by default..but this texture sort of looking corruption almost is not acceptable, something is amiss how I am doing this I fear.
Originals are jpg, processed on a mac in cs5..I basically like the softening etc. and think there is some potential here..but this texture or whatever it is just does not work for me..thanks again..
[attachment=218][attachment=219]
You'll need to post the original image, rather than a screen shot of the application for me to be able to reproduce what you are seeing. But here are some tips:

You will see the skin texture if you push the skin sliders up high or use the touch-up brush a lot. To make the new skin match the original skin, try playing with the Texture slider in the Skin Controls section (and also it's sub-sliders which can be found by clicking on the Texture button, particularly the Size slider). Also try choosing a different Skin Texture Type until the synthetic skin matches.

Tony
Ok, will try what you suggest but in the meantime this is what I have. They are down to screen dpi for emailing, but are a hundred percent size cropped to show closeup..I drew the markers on the trouble spots, with luck you can see them.
Thanks for your time..
[attachment=220][attachment=221]
Yes, when skin is very strongly textured, as in your example, it will require some tweaking to get the replacement skin to match the original skin. It will be difficult to match exactly highly textured skin, so another tip is to not turn up the sliders too high, and use the touch-up brush on a lower opacity and sparingly.

Tony
Hi everyone,

I seem to have similar issues, although I do not push the sliders too much.  In fact all my portrait retouching with Portrait Pro is done with careful moderation, I hardly push the sliders at all.

Here's an example of before and after.  I get a lot of craquelure effect, especially (as in this case) when I use image sharpening.

How can I avoid this?

Before: [attachment=236]

After: [attachment=237]

[attachment=238]
For those (like me !) who had to leap to the Funk 'n Wagnells

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craquelure
I think I managed to lessen the problem by careful moves of the Skin smoothing and Texture sliders, under the Skin workflow.  For the texture slider, I actually tend to give it a negative value: sometimes down to -30 depending on my need.
Perhaps it is also a better idea to work on Portrait Pro after all the other adjustments have been made, such as sharpening, dodge and burn... etc
Sharpening on a skin which has a lot of 'scales' or 'craquelure' like texture due to uncareful tweaks on Portrait Pro, will only make it worse!
Pages: 1 2