Portrait Pro Forums

Full Version: White/Black back drop question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all,

My back ground is videography and now I am also interested in still photography. This not not my profession but rather a hobby. I got a Canon 60D with some good zoom and prime lenses. I have been using a green screen as my back drop (green screen) I am using photo key software to key out the background and replaced with what ever background that I want. I saw a Protrait Studio inside Walmart store and they got a white and black back drop as their background. My quesion is how do you key out the white/black backdrop? in photoshop? If so, can you explain with some detail how it done. I've tried photoshop but the result is not great, that is why I use photo key software. Also, where can I buy those light blue back ground I often seen in protrait photos. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Hi Bruce, I don't want to claim that I know everything. But after much experiment, this is what I am doing:

1. I am using a blue background. Just buy any non reflective blue material (muslin material is best) will do (Saying this, remember that I am using PS to do my job). If the material is too small, just stitch them together. However, you may buy one easily from photo supplier rather cheaply.

2. I have decided not to use photo key software is because I may take longer time to do the masking of clothing with the same (or shade of) colour as the bg.

3. Use quick select brush in PS (shortcut W) to brush over and select the background. Then invert (Ctrl-Shift-I) the selection and click Refine Selection. In refine selection (window), flip between white and black background to ensure that the background is fully removed.
There is no short cut here as only experience can tell you what to adjust in the Refine window. For a portrait, it should not take you more than 30 seconds to remove the bg.

It is very difficult to key out a black background. I have not done a successful piece.

Tip: If PP is part of the workflow, never remove bg before PP process.

(12-09-2012, 05:19 AM)williamting Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Bruce, I don't want to claim that I know everything. But after much experiment, this is what I am doing:

1. I am using a blue background. Just buy any non reflective blue material (muslin material is best) will do (Saying this, remember that I am using PS to do my job). If the material is too small, just stitch them together. However, you may buy one easily from photo supplier rather cheaply.

2. I have decided not to use photo key software is because I may take longer time to do the masking of clothing with the same (or shade of) colour as the bg.

3. Use quick select brush in PS (shortcut W) to brush over and select the background. Then invert (Ctrl-Shift-I) the selection and click Refine Selection. In refine selection (window), flip between white and black background to ensure that the background is fully removed.
There is no short cut here as only experience can tell you what to adjust in the Refine window. For a portrait, it should not take you more than 30 seconds to remove the bg.

It is very difficult to key out a black background. I have not done a successful piece.

Tip: If PP is part of the workflow, never remove bg before PP process.

Thanks for your reply Williamting.

Anyone else would like to give your thought?
I have decided not to use photo key names software is because Seminar Topics I may take longer time to do the masking of clothing with the same (or shade of) colour as the bg
Arya, I agree with you! I gave up on photo key software also. Unless someone here can point me to a really good one which I have not tried.

I think photoshop is great software for editing but if it does not complete your requirements you can use other softwares like corel draw, photo illustrator, etc but i only recommend photoshop because its easy to use and i think you need to learn photoshop....you can see photoshop tutorials on youtube.
How do you even START? Like, how do you go into the photo editing area? I can't find it. It's probably VERY obvious, but I can't find it.
(01-04-2014, 01:13 AM)klaiskids@gmail.com Wrote: [ -> ]How do you even START? Like, how do you go into the photo editing area? I can't find it. It's probably VERY obvious, but I can't find it.

Sorry that you are having a hard time.

If you follow this link, I feel that it will get you going in the right direction.

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/phot...tutorials/