Portrait Pro Forums

Full Version: Raw Images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=450][attachment=451]
I hope someone can help with this?
I just upgraded from standard 10.6 to studio 10.6
for raw images, the problem is when I open a raw image
in studio the image is much brighter with more noise.
If I open the jpeg image from the camera it has very little
change. I have tried changing all the settings but it still
opens overly bright.
Here is a jpeg from the camera and a converted raw
from studio 10, No changes were made before converting
Why so much brightness difference?
One more thing, when I installed studio, standard stayed
intact, do I need to uninstall the standard?
No sure whether you have found your answer to this issue.

RAW is what it is all about ... as originally taken and seen by the camera. JPEG has been "manipulated" by the camera image processor according to your setting, eg, noise reduction, D-lighting (as according to Nikon), A and S setting, picture control, exposure compensation, etc.

PP does not have those complex RAW processor as found in PS, lightroom, etc. Therefore, if you find that your RAW image is too far off, I would recommend that you use another software, eg, PS, LR, Aperture, etc, to pre-process your RAW before feeding it to PS. That is my main use of PS plugin, ie, I open RAW in PS, pre-process it, then go to PP to process the portrait. Finally, save and return to PS to finish off the workflow.
So, a simple answer to your query, yes, what you see is normal.
You may leave your standard alone or remove it. Is there any good reason why you would like to go back to standard version on the same computer?

By the way, this prompted me to added another item to my 2012 wish list, ie, better RAW processor in PS!
I recommend processing your RAW images using your photo editor like Lightroom, Photoshop, or DPP. Then export the images has TIFF then import into PP. Good Luck!
(03-04-2012, 10:20 PM)studio1250 Wrote: [ -> ]I recommend processing your RAW images using your photo editor like Lightroom, Photoshop, or DPP. Then export the images has TIFF then import into PP. Good Luck!
Philip, full agree with what you say.
Ditto - I've treid processing my Raw images (Nikon NEF) directly but it really doesn't work well. If you're a Nikon user, try Nikon NX2 (free) utility to convert your NEFs to 16 bit Tiffs and use those in PP.