• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quality of pic AFTER correction
Question 
Hi all, downloaded the trial version (loving it) and am considering purchasing.... My question: in the trial version the corrected version looks a bit pixelated. Is this just a thing w/ the trial version, do they come out crisp like the originals in the paid for version? I am using an 8 meg camera and the original version looks crisp and defined. However when I correct it in trial mode to get an idea how it will look, it's fuzzy and pixelated. Even if I pretty much restore it all, it looks fuzzy. Not sure how it actually looks once printed since that is not an option until after purchase. Thanks in advance!

In both the trial version and the final version the picture should come out exactly as sharp as the original, with exactly the same width and height in pixels, so there should be no information loss, with a few caveats, as described bellow. Without seeing an example of what you mean, there could be several different reasons why it might look less sharp than the original:

Obviously, if you use the sliders to smooth areas of skin, those areas will be changed, but that is the point of the application!

Unless you zoom into the picture you wont be able to see all the detail, as generally screens are around 1 megapixel. Conversely, if you zoom in beyond the resolution of the camera, the pixels will get bigger and look pixelated.

If you have it in draft mode, then the resolution of the preview is dropped in order to make editing faster. The saved result is not affected.

If you move pixels around, as is the case with face sculpting, in the worst case, the resolution is effectively halved in both directions. This is not a bug in our software, but is a fundamental, mathematical, limit to what can be done when moving pixels around, called the Nyquest theorem. The only way round this is not to use the face sculpting at all, by pressing the 'clear' button in the face sculpting section.

Does this answer your question? If not, could you post a screen shot showing what you mean?

Tony

Tony,
Thanks! For your help. I'm only in the free trial version right now. When the before and after pics are side by side, the after is what does not look clear, even when I restore it all on the sliders to original. The side with "preview" over it is very pixelated at the default size. But when i zoomed it, I could see better detail (like you suggested). I wondered if it printed exactly as I see it on the monitor, if the detail was there whether i'm zoomed in or default size.

admin Wrote:In both the trial version and the final version the picture should come out exactly as sharp as the original, with exactly the same width and height in pixels, so there should be no information loss, with a few caveats, as described bellow.  Without seeing an example of what you mean, there could be several different reasons why it might look less sharp than the original:

Obviously, if you use the sliders to smooth areas of skin, those areas will be changed, but that is the point of the application!

Unless you zoom into the picture you wont be able to see all the detail, as generally screens are around 1 megapixel.  Conversely, if you zoom in beyond the resolution of the camera, the pixels will get bigger and look pixelated.  

If you have it in draft mode, then the resolution of the preview is dropped in order to make editing faster.  The saved result is not affected.

If you move pixels around, as is the case with face sculpting, in the worst case, the resolution is effectively halved in both directions.  This is not a bug in our software, but is a fundamental, mathematical, limit to what can be done when moving pixels around, called the Nyquest theorem.  The only way round this is not to use the face sculpting at all, by pressing the 'clear' button in the face sculpting section.

Does this answer your question?  If not, could you post a screen shot showing what you mean?

Tony

Hi there,

If you had the full version, when you saved the picture it would save it at the full resolution, not monitor resolution, regardless of your current view. If you then printed that picture, you would see all of the detail. If you tried to take a screenshot and then print or zoom in on that, it would only be at monitor resolution.

Tony

Thanks Tony!
Thanks Tony!

admin Wrote:Hi there,

If you had the full version, when you saved the picture it would save it at the full resolution, not monitor resolution, regardless of your current view.  If you then printed that picture, you would see all of the detail.  If you tried to take a screenshot and then print or zoom in on that, it would only be at monitor resolution.

Tony

Tony is right, you don't lose any of teh pixel dimensions when saving, ie the image dimensions stay the same so you won't get pixellation.