• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image quality loss
Question 
My originals average about 7M but end up between 1-2 M. Why am I having such use loss? they are no longer suitable for large prints.

Hi there,

Are you using JPGs or TIFs? The compression used in both formats finds it especially difficult to compress the tiny blemishes found in human skin. By removing them you make it a lot easier for the file formats to compress the images. Try doing a Gaussian blur in and saving as a JPG in Photoshop and you will see the same reduction in file size. To ensure that the details are not lost in Portrait Professional, firstly make sure you are loading TIFs, not JPGs, because Portrait Professional saves out in the same format you load in, and JPG is a lossy format. Secondly, when you get to adjusting the skin tone sliders, place your mouse over a relevant part of the 'after' picture, and hold down CTRL to zoom in. Now, while keeping CTRL held down, adjust the skin tone sliders to the amount of detail you are happy with. If you are working in TIFs the result you save out will be exactly the same as you can see in the zoomed view.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions about image quality loss, please keep posting!

Thanks,

Tony

bratsscrappy Wrote:My originals average about 7M but end up between 1-2 M. Why am I having such use loss? they are no longer suitable for large prints.