• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Canon or Nikon for Boudoir - Does the new 50mm Sigma ART change the game?
I am a boudoir photographer mainly doing shoots in hotel rooms. I currently use: -

• Canon EOS 6D
• Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens
• Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens
• Canon transmitter and 2 off-camera flashes

Typically, I use the 50mm a lot more than the 24-70mm.

The 50mm is not that sharp, has massive back-focusing (I have the micro adjustment at -17), distortion, fringing and chromatic aberration, BUT it takes magical pictures with beautiful bocha!

I have been reading a lot about the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM ART (released this week I think). I tried it the other day and it is pretty amazing. Its sharper, there is no back focusing, less distortion, less fringing and less chromatic aberration. The bocha isn't quite as pleasing to the eye though.

I am not entirely sure that the Sigma would encourage me to ditch the Canon 50mm, BUT I am wondering if I should move over to Nikon.

I hadn't used Nikon in the past because of the lack of a good enough 50mm lens. However, with the Sigma being as good as the Canon 1.2, it seems to be an opportunity to consider Nikon.

On paper, the combination of the Nikon D800 and the Sigma 1.4 ART should be the ultimate combination (assuming you have ruled out the Carl Ziest OTUS because of the lack of AF, the weight or the cost).

Many say that the D800 produces much sharper images. Some also say it produces blurry images without a tripod and/or really high shutter speeds.

So, for my purpose (bedroom boudoir with no tripod), should I chose the Nikon D800 and the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, or should I stick with the Canon D6 and the Canon 50mm 1.2L?

Thank you!

You've already got the red ring glass, I would spring for a 5d3. I was amazed with the difference over the mark 2. Rent one for a week or two and try it out. There is a bit of a learning curve. Once you get it sorted out, I am sure you'll love it with your lenses.

(06-07-2014, 09:18 PM)JakeS Wrote: I am a boudoir photographer mainly doing shoots in hotel rooms. I currently use: -

• Canon EOS 6D
• Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens
• Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens
• Canon transmitter and 2 off-camera flashes

Typically, I use the 50mm a lot more than the 24-70mm.

The 50mm is not that sharp, has massive back-focusing (I have the micro adjustment at -17), distortion, fringing and chromatic aberration, BUT it takes magical pictures with beautiful bocha!

I have been reading a lot about the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM ART (released this week I think). I tried it the other day and it is pretty amazing. Its sharper, there is no back focusing, less distortion, less fringing and less chromatic aberration. The bocha isn't quite as pleasing to the eye though.

I am not entirely sure that the Sigma would encourage me to ditch the Canon 50mm, BUT I am wondering if I should move over to Nikon.

I hadn't used Nikon in the past because of the lack of a good enough 50mm lens. However, with the Sigma being as good as the Canon 1.2, it seems to be an opportunity to consider Nikon.

On paper, the combination of the Nikon D800 and the Sigma 1.4 ART should be the ultimate combination (assuming you have ruled out the Carl Ziest OTUS because of the lack of AF, the weight or the cost).

Many say that the D800 produces much sharper images. Some also say it produces blurry images without a tripod and/or really high shutter speeds.

So, for my purpose (bedroom boudoir with no tripod), should I chose the Nikon D800 and the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, or should I stick with the Canon D6 and the Canon 50mm 1.2L?

Thank you!