• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outlines of Faces -- Skipping features
I find that a fairly large percentage of the time I spend retouching a photo in PP is spent doing the outlines of each face -- the jaw, the nose, the eyebrows, the eyes. There are many features of faces that I almost NEVER touch, like the shape of the eyebrows. Can I skip carefully outlining this feature (the eyebrows) with the PP software, therefore? I also almost never do anything with the mouth or teeth. It would save me a lot of time if I could skip outlining the subject's mouth. Does anyone out there routinely skip outlining certain features of faces to save time when using PP? Or would I be being shortsighted not to carefully outline each facial feature and take the 5-10 minutes necessary to do a good job?

You have a great post there. I know that there are some great forum members that will be able to assist you here.

PortraitProfessional Forum

Hi Fred,

Personally, I usually spend a little bit of time checking the outlines before I start editing. However, as long as they are fairly accurate, you don't need to make them absolutely perfect to get a good result. As an example, I usually make sure the blue lines around the teeth (if the mouth is open) are pretty much correct but I don't pay as much attention to the lines around the lips as I don't tend to change much about them. As long as they are pretty much in the right place, I leave them as they are.
Out of curiosity, which version and edition of the software are you using?

The Master Collection in version 11 does all the outlining for you, so you simply hit the "ignore" button on the facial re-shaping algorithm and it doesn't re-shape the face. Just my .02.
The beauty of reality is that we are masters of its creation.

Normally the auto outlines are quite good. However, you if notice the eyes are giving problem, esp, when the image consists of many faces, you can just switch off the eye control by clicking the green button. This applies to the mouth also.

(01-03-2014, 05:03 PM)CaMo Wrote: Hi Fred,

Personally, I usually spend a little bit of time checking the outlines before I start editing. However, as long as they are fairly accurate, you don't need to make them absolutely perfect to get a good result. As an example, I usually make sure the blue lines around the teeth (if the mouth is open) are pretty much correct but I don't pay as much attention to the lines around the lips as I don't tend to change much about them. As long as they are pretty much in the right place, I leave them as they are.
Out of curiosity, which version and edition of the software are you using?

I'm using v. 12 (StudioMax). Love it. Outlines are more accurate in this version than in prior versions. I do find, however, that when the picture first comes up on the screen with the blue lines there are both before and after versions on the screen together. I hit the "back" button on the control panel (?) to just see the blue lines on the "before" version. The reason I do this is (1) faster workflow (since the "after" version does not need rendering after each adjustment), and (2) it gives you the regions that quickly allow one to zoom in on each eye and the mouth/nose areas. The quick zoom feature is nice and I used it in the old versions of PP too.

(02-24-2014, 06:46 PM)Fred Wrote: I'm using v. 12 (StudioMax). Love it. Outlines are more accurate in this version than in prior versions. I do find, however, that when the picture first comes up on the screen with the blue lines there are both before and after versions on the screen together. I hit the "back" button on the control panel (?) to just see the blue lines on the "before" version. The reason I do this is (1) faster workflow (since the "after" version does not need rendering after each adjustment), and (2) it gives you the regions that quickly allow one to zoom in on each eye and the mouth/nose areas. The quick zoom feature is nice and I used it in the old versions of PP too.

Hi Fred,
I fully agree with you on that point - I have the same workflow of using the "back" button.
With V11 you could instead hit cancel in the gender selection and then re-select the face, that does not work anymore.

I hope the team ads a preference setting for advanced users like us that allows to go directly to the mode with the automatic zooming after gender selection ... I have provided exactly this feedback to the team.

Regards - MacSass

(02-24-2014, 06:46 PM)Fred Wrote: I'm using v. 12 (StudioMax). Love it. Outlines are more accurate in this version than in prior versions. I do find, however, that when the picture first comes up on the screen with the blue lines there are both before and after versions on the screen together. I hit the "back" button on the control panel (?) to just see the blue lines on the "before" version. The reason I do this is (1) faster workflow (since the "after" version does not need rendering after each adjustment), and (2) it gives you the regions that quickly allow one to zoom in on each eye and the mouth/nose areas. The quick zoom feature is nice and I used it in the old versions of PP too.

Hi Fred,

I agree about using the 'back' button for adjusting the outlines, this is a much faster way of working if you're an in depth user of the software rather than just relying on the automatic processing.