• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAW Files Appear Dull
Hello - I am new to this software. I've got PP Studio Max, ver 12, 64bit. When opening a .CR2 image from my Canon camera, the image colors are all washed out. The same image when viewed in Digital Photo Professional look great.

What causes this?
(01-07-2014, 05:29 PM)Eric T Wrote: Hello - I am new to this software. I've got PP Studio Max, ver 12, 64bit. When opening a .CR2 image from my Canon camera, the image colors are all washed out. The same image when viewed in Digital Photo Professional look great.

What causes this?

If this is what you get when opening a RAW file, what does anyone do to RAW files with PortraitPro? With the color washed out there is no way to make any color or lighting adjustments.

The upgrade page lists the ability to work with RAW files, which was one of the reasons I upgraded the software.

What is Williamting referring to here? What would someone do to RAW files with PP Studio Max?

Eric, have you tried using Picture Control (Last slider on "Portrait Improving Sliders". I believe it has quite a lot of picture adjustments which you may use on your image.

BTW, it doesn't appear washed out on my Windows. On my computer, PP is doing a very decent job in the initial adjustment applied and I am quite happy with it. Try opening a ticket and perhaps customer support has some bright ideas!

I have an open ticket and have been working on it with them for the last few days and they have not been able to explain the cause of the problem I am experiencing. The reps latest email stated that he investigated the issue and has found they have to look into it further. He is asking I instead convert my .CR2 files to .dng before working in PP.

Here is a link to a dropbox folder with screen shots of the problem and a copy of the example .CR2 file.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0fcvoxirqv2mf1d/R6S5U0oBsb

Would you be willing to look at the screen shots and open the .CR2 file in PP and see if the image is all washed out for you too?

Thanks for the reply - E
I just installed the Adobe .dng converter as the support rep suggested. Converting my .CR2 to .dng was easy and fast, and afterwards the .dng version of my image opened in PP with perfect color.

Hi Eric, you are right. On my computer, it is giving the same washed out colour like what you have. Since the result can be reproduced, PP should be able to diagnose and find a solution.

Thank you Sir.

With Portrait Professional Studio 64 v11.3 on a Mac and it's also dull. When opened with Preview it looks ok, like in the Dropbox sample. But your image seems to use Adobe RGB instead of the more conventional sRGB. Can you try to change colorspace on your camera and try again?

Hi,

It is an sRGB image. I also checked my camera and it is, and has been on sRGB. When I open the image in Digital Photo Professional, it is shown to be sRGB in the image properties.

In fact, if you open the Screen Shot DPP.jpg image in the dropbox folder I posted, you can see sRGB displayed in the bottom gray info bar at the bottom of the image.

When I open the file in Preview or Aperture I get to see Profile: Adobe RGB. When I open one of my own RAW files (Sony) I see sRGB.
But when I open a RAW from my wife's Canon, I get Adobe RGB again. Colors aren't dull and selecting Adobe RGB in PP doesn't change a thing.

I've attached a screenshot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hmmmm.....I can't explain why it would show up as Adobe RGB. It shows up as sRGB for me. That is puzzling.

Thanks for looking at it.