• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portrait Professional 9 Colour Managed
Hi I have just upgraded to Portrait Professional 9 and when I open an image in it the colours are yellowish although they look fine in all other apps and also when printed.

Has some form of colour management been applied (or maybe removed!) in PP9?

If so how can I change it?

Many Thanks

Darren

Hi,

Only Portrait Professional Studio supports color management. It can be controlled by going to the Color tab in the settings dialog.

Tony

Thanks for that Tony.

I am using Portrait Professional Studio but it seems to have highlighted a bug which would explain why I couldn't see the colour management settings. I right clicked on a picture and chose open with Portrait Professional and when it opened the application the only option it gave in the File menu was Save and Close also I have just noticed that if I do it this way it doesn't colour manage it.

If I open Portrait Professional first then open an image I get all of the menu options and I have changed colour management to be set the same as the picture which brings up the picture OK but after setting that and closing Portrait Professional if I then open a file again using the right click method it will not colour manage it.

It is almost as if it is two different applications.

Whilst I was writing this message I removed Portrait Professional 8.1 (Would be good if the installer gave the option to update it rather than install it alongside) to see if that resolved the issue but it hasn't. Although with PP8.1 installed menus were on the left in PP9 and when I uninstalled PP8.1 and re-ran PP9 I had to activate it again and now the menus are on the right!

If you require screenshots of what I mean I will post them up if possible.

In my context menu I only have "open with PortraitProfessionalTrial" and not PP v8.0.
Is this one of the new functions of v9.0 ?

Hi Skids,

It sounds like PP is wrongly going into plug-in mode.  We will take a look at the problem.  In the meantime, as you say, it's fixed by loading the image from the file menu into an already open PP (or alternatively, you can drag and drop a picture from explorer into the main area).

And Roscoe:
Yes, this is a new feature of v9.0,the installer adds Portrait Professional to the explorer context menu, so the menu will always show the last edition of Portrait Professional that was installed.

Tony

I am using PP9 Studio Edition as a plug in with PhotoShop. It opens fine and looks fine when I am finished with the picture, but when I go to Save and Close, the photo has a yellowish look to it, which was not there in PhotoShop before it was opened in PP9 and didn't show up in PP9. It just shows up after hitting Close and Save. I have tried change it with both Enable Color Management and Without, with the same results. I also have Use Profile from picture set. Any ideas

joan Wrote:I am using PP9 Studio Edition as a plug in with PhotoShop.  It opens fine and looks fine when I am finished with the picture, but when I go to Save and Close, the photo has a yellowish look to it, which was not there in PhotoShop before it was opened in PP9 and didn't show up in PP9.  It just shows up after hitting Close and Save.  I have tried change it with both Enable Color Management and Without, with the same results.  I also have Use Profile from picture set.  Any ideas

It is because the Plug in doesn't use the same colour management rules as the full program.

Is this going to be fixed soon?

I've been discussing this with Joan in a support ticket she opened about this a few days ago. Since then we have spent many hours trying to reproduce the yellow color problem, but we have still not been able to see anything go wrong. Joan then reported that the color problem is fixed by turning on color management in Portrait Professional before running it as a plug-in from Photoshop. However I have spent a long time going through the color management code, and can't see how that can have any effect. If I knew what combination of color management settings of Photoshop and Portrait Professional Studio are needed in order to make the problem happen, then I will be able to fix it.

For Skids, we have now fixed the problem with Portrait Professional Studio entering "plugin mode" when using "open with" from Windows. The fix will be in the next free update of version 9, which is in testing now and will be released in a day or two.

Gary

Gary Wrote:I've been discussing this with Joan in a support ticket she opened about this a few days ago. Since then we have spent many hours trying to reproduce the yellow color problem, but we have still not been able to see anything go wrong. Joan then reported that the color problem is fixed by turning on color management in Portrait Professional before running it as a plug-in from Photoshop. However I have spent a long time going through the color management code, and can't see how that can have any effect. If I knew what combination of color management settings of Photoshop and Portrait Professional Studio are needed in order to make the problem happen, then I will be able to fix it.

For Skids, we have now fixed the problem with Portrait Professional Studio entering "plugin mode" when using "open with" from Windows. The fix will be in the next free update of version 9, which is in testing now and will be released in a day or two.

Gary

In regard to this problem, I sent a support ticket on June 8 and to date (July 10) have not had any success in this problem being resolved.  On June 17, I created two files from the same picture.  The only difference was that one had been touched up by opening and closing after touching up each face and on the other one, I touched up all faces before closing.  There was a noticeable difference on the two photos when I sent them to a professional printer for printing.  I sent the two files to Anthropics and am now being told that they need my monitor profile in order to solve the problem. Obviously, this isn't a monitor problem since the two files printed differently.

Hello Joan,

We are not saying there is something wrong with your monitor profile. What we are saying is that we can't reproduce the problem here. If we can have your monitor profile we might be able to see what is going wrong. When I can see the problem happen I will be able to fix it.

Gary