• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugin for Photoshop CS5 isn't?
THe plugin installed with studio version doesn't apear to be a plugin at all but a stand-alone application Photoshop allows to be started from within the program. This is causes me to open a second copy (the one saved as in PP) to continue working on the Photoshop images I needed to alter during a photoshop session. I end up with several copies of the file I only wanted one copy of.

Is there some way I can cause PP on return to Photoshop to display the saved as image and not cause me to open that image as a seperate edit?

I can get the same effect of opening an outside application by using Adobe's lightroom method of creating plugins. Intergration doesn't seem to be functioning as a plugin but open an external program.

AJ

Hi AJ, I am not sure how you start PP. What I normally do is to open the image (RAW or JPEG or TIFF) to be edited in PS. When I need PP, I will start it up from Filter->Anthropics->Portrait Professional. In this way, I don't experience the issue you described above.

I've previously used the standard version but upgraded so I could improve my workflow. Photoshop (and lightroom) allow outside programs that do not depend on any Photoshop function for their opperation to be started from within Photoshop. Many developers refer to such applications as plugins but in reality can run with or without photoshop so in my opinion are not plugins but companion applications.

If I use Alienskin's plugin to clear facial damage or smooth skin (similar to PP), it works on the image using Photoshop functions. When finished it doesn't "exit" the Alienskin plugin because it is only a photoshop function, not an external program. I can just mask an area of another image and hit the last used choice at the top of filter menu to achieve identical skin repair.

Not so with PP or some of On-one software's "plugins". They are stand alone applications that can be started from within Photoshop. It is when you "save as" from one of these applications (something you cant do from a plugin) that the saved as file is not the one you are returned to. You are returned to the original file. It's no big deal, just needs me to be careful not to save the worked on image from PP, do it from Photoshop. If PS crashed on the return, the image would lost.

AJ, you are absolutely correct! That is exactly the way PP works. It is not an integral part of PS but spawned from PS, work as standalone and then return the completed work.
Have fun! Once you understand the interface, you will be more mindful of the constrain.