• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Blue Eyes in B/W Conversion
MyBB 
Hi -
Just converted to version 6 and was trying out the black and white conversion on the the 1st test model.  Her eyes turned a milky dark color - like she had some kind of total cataracts covering her entire eye surface.  If I lightened the total image way too much her eyes began to look normal.  Can somebody give me a clue as to what is going on and how I can fix it?
Thanks,
Jody

Hi Jody,

The problem there is that the default settings for eye whitening don't quite work for that picture. The eye whitening controls can be found in the "Eye" section. There are controls to tell the software how large an area to whiten. Larger areas cover more of the white of the eye, but if it is too large then they will start to cover the dark bits too. To fix it, show the Eye controls then lower the "Eye Area" slider, until the iris is revealed.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Thank you - this worked and got rid of the 'cateracts'.  In order to get the eyes light enough however I found that I needed to lower the contrast and up the exposure a little.  This kind of washed out the rest of the image.  I ended up doing two versions of the image - good eyes and good everything else and then putting them together in Photoshop.  Is there an easier way in Portrait P?
j.

Hi Jody,

The problem there is that the default settings for eye whitening don't quite work for that picture.   The eye whitening controls can be found in the "Eye" section.   There are controls to tell the software how large an area to whiten.  Larger areas cover more of the white of the eye, but if it is too large then they will start to cover the dark bits too.  To fix it, show the Eye controls then lower the "Eye Area" slider, until the iris is revealed.  

Tony

Hi Jody,

If the eyes weren't light enough once you had decreased the area, it sounds like you need to increase the amount of the eye whitening. You do this by increasing the eye whiten slider in the same panel.

Tony