• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skin & Hair detection
In v11 has anyone noticed that hair and skin detection often leave a lot to be desired? For example hair detection spilling out into the background, often by a long way, even when the background is a totally different colour. And skin detection missing areas although adjacent, identical, areas are detected.

I have notices that no matter what skin selection you choose (Face, neckline, low neckline or full body) it only selects the face and you have to manually select the rest. I like the new features of ver 11 but hoped this would be sorted as well as it was the same in previous versions

Selections are fairly accurate for me and skin does go beyond the face, but I often see sharp cutoffs before the ends of long hair or partway down an arm for skin, and find rectangular holes in both hair and skin masks at the level of the mouth. Using the brush to paint back the areas yields only partial, blocky fill, but that can be fixed with the refine edge button.

(11-30-2012, 04:54 PM)keithblan Wrote: In v11 has anyone noticed that hair and skin detection often leave a lot to be desired? For example hair detection spilling out into the background, often by a long way, even when the background is a totally different colour. And skin detection missing areas although adjacent, identical, areas are detected.

Same problem here, much worse at skin detection than v10. v11 is very buggy and disappointing in many areas.

JoeKidd

Even after the most recent update to v. 11.1.9, skin detection is still incomplete and inaccurate. IMO automatic skin detection should be disabled by default since most of the selection must be done manually with the Extend brush anyway. Even worse, the program detects skin on faces other than the one selected for enhancement, requiring manual deselecting with the Cut Back brush.
JoeKidd

Joekidd, I think V11.1.9 already fixes skin detection on faces other than the one selected for enhancement.

As a matter of fact, skin detection is seldom accurate since the early versions. I believe the problem lies in the algorithm used and the lighting and skin tone/colour affect the accuracy. I found that it is quite acceptable for me for all shots taken in the studio where lighting was even. Once I introduce shadow, the detection will not be accurate.

Perhaps, PP should introduce a "Preferences" setting so that we can all select which option is active when we fire up PP.

(01-04-2013, 03:29 AM)williamting Wrote: Joekidd, I think V11.1.9 already fixes skin detection on faces other than the one selected for enhancement.

As a matter of fact, skin detection is seldom accurate since the early versions. I believe the problem lies in the algorithm used and the lighting and skin tone/colour affect the accuracy. I found that it is quite acceptable for me for all shots taken in the studio where lighting was even. Once I introduce shadow, the detection will not be accurate.

Perhaps, PP should introduce a "Preferences" setting so that we can all select which option is active when we fire up PP.

williamting, I'm not seeing any improvement to skin detection with v 11.1.9. On evenly lighted and toned skin, detection is still blatantly incomplete and spotty. The skin detection on faces that are not selected is aggravating and counter productive.

I agree that automatic detection should be optional, as it requires more work to correct it than to select it manually.

JoeKidd

JoeKidd,

Please sent the photo that is giving problem to the developer, especially the one that is selecting skin of other faces. I no longer see the problem on my photo. That is why I thought the problem has been resolved.

Spotty selection appears on my photos very often. Incomplete selection, eg, a straight cut-off below the chin or on the neck is quite frequent, but bearable. When I see that it gives me problem, I will just manually select them.

I have worked on many pictures and I have never had it fill in the full body I always have to paint it in manually this is even against pictures on dark backgrounds with good skin tones. Best I have got is a straight line at about shoulder level.

(11-30-2012, 08:40 PM)Skids Wrote: I have notices that no matter what skin selection you choose (Face, neckline, low neckline or full body) it only selects the face and you have to manually select the rest. I like the new features of ver 11 but hoped this would be sorted as well as it was the same in previous versions

I have exactly the same experience with V 11 Studio. The skin selection button might as well not be there. The software selects the face only, no matter what skin selection you make.