• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standard vs. Studio
I am considering buying this program, and, although I usually buy the best (most expensive) version of a program, I could not see anything in the edition list that justified my buying the Studio version. I do have Windows 7, 64 bits, but I don't know if it just being "optimized" for 64 bits will justify the steep difference in the price between the two versions. I am not cheap, but, since this software will just be used to tweak photos for family and friends, that is quite a difference in price. I wouldn't mind paying it if I could just know why I should.

It appears one "pro" would be the free upgrade to version 11 Masters; however, we can't get any indication that new features other than optimization improvement for 64 will be in that version.

I am so frustrated in making this decision that I am considering not buying any until the Version 11 comes out and I can see the feature list comparison.

Is there anyone out there with the experience of using the Standard and then the Studio that could/would share some input? I sure would appreciate it.

This software looks simply awesome. I was sooooo impressed by everyone's examples. Help me make the right decision, please. Big Grin

Perhaps some decisions by elimination:
Studio 64 has been optimised for 64 bit windows and no file size limit:
Do you do a lot of editing for business? Do you use high resolution camera, eg, medium format Hasselblad? I am not sure where is the cut off point for image size. So far, I never had any problem with images from my 12M pixels camera. However, it won't be able to handle images from my 39M pixels.
If answers are both no, then you won't need 64bits.

Next is to decide on Standard against Studio:
Do you take RAW? Do you use Photoshop in your workflow?
If it is "no" for both of the above, then you probably don't need a Studio version.
However, if you intend to use RAW, then it may be worth while for you to consider Studio.
Other goodies offered by Studio are probably not required immediately.

So the decision is yours. However, Standard and Studio is only US$20. IMHO, just settle for Studio and perhaps it opens a new window for you to start taking RAW and use the plugin from photoshop, etc. You can always upgrade to 64 bits later.

Enjoy what the program can offer now and at the same time you also put smiles on many people! No point to wait for V11. You will get (or pay for the upgrade) it when it is released.

(01-26-2012, 02:40 AM)williamting Wrote: Perhaps some decisions by elimination:
Do you do a lot of editing for business? Do you use high resolution camera, eg, medium format Hasselblad? I am not sure where is the cut off point for image size. So far, I never had any problem with images from my 12M pixels camera. However, it won't be able to handle images from my 39M pixels.

If it is "no" for both of the above, then you probably don't need a Studio version.
However, if you intend to use RAW, then it may be worth while for you to consider Studio.

So the decision is yours. However, Standard and Studio is only US$20. IMHO, just settle for Studio and perhaps it opens a new window for you to start taking RAW and use the plugin from photoshop, etc. You can always upgrade to 64 bits later.

Enjoy what the program can offer now and at the same time you also put smiles on many people! No point to wait for V11. You will get (or pay for the upgrade) it when it is released.

(01-26-2012, 02:40 AM)williamting Wrote: Perhaps some decisions by elimination:

Thank you so much for the informative, thorough, and prompt reply. It was extremely helpful! Thank you! Donna77642

(01-26-2012, 03:08 AM)Donna77642 Wrote: Thank you so much for the informative, thorough, and prompt reply. It was extremely helpful! Thank you! Donna77642

Glad that I can be of help to you. But which version did you settle for?

I am got the Standard for the exact reasons you stated because I answered NO to nearly all your questions -- you helped so much! I can always upgrade later if I find out there are features that have been added that I need. Besides, this supposedly comes with a free upgrade to version 11, so I can't go wrong. THANKS again for all your help! Donna

(01-26-2012, 04:09 AM)Donna77642 Wrote: I am got the Standard for the exact reasons you stated because I answered NO to nearly all your questions -- you helped so much! I can always upgrade later if I find out there are features that have been added that I need. Besides, this supposedly comes with a free upgrade to version 11, so I can't go wrong. THANKS again for all your help! Donna

Donna,
You can always move up to the next level by paying the difference from you initial investment to the next level, in the same version.

I find that using the standard version works the same as stand alone,but find being able to take my native raw and tiff files (not just jpegs) into studio and work with them stand alone.
If I want to work with an image in PS, then I would use the plugin.

As William has stated, if you do not use raw or tiff files and only use jpegs, then the standard version is for you.

Smile
PortraitProfessional Forum

hello
how long limited edition for 29.90€? How many time?

Do you take RAW? Do you use Photoshop in your workflow? I find that using the standard version works the same as stand alone,but find being able to take my native raw and tiff files (not just jpegs) into studio and work with them stand alone. Glad that I can be of help to you. But which version did you settle for?