• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PP doesn't always like Monochrome pictures
I don't know if this is related to PP10 or previous versions as well, I have only noticed it in 10.

If I bring a monochrome picture into PP10 sometimes, not always, when I use the touch up brush it paints over the image in colour (the same purple as the default skin selection colour) rather than in the (monochrome) skin tone.

If I go into skin selection, sometimes it is not detecting all of the skin, maybe because its in monochrome but if I choose extend and fill in the missing areas it just ruins the colours and textures, making them look like colours have been reduced from 8bit.

My thoughts are that PP is looking for skin tones and because the pic is monochrome it has trouble.

Any ideas?

Darren.

There are two issues here:

It sounds like the purple overlay might be a bug that we are unaware of. Is there any way of reliably reproducing it? Either that or you've used a slider that is meant to add color (like the tan slider).

The second issue is one that is fundamental. Detecting skin areas is considerably helped by knowing the color of skin. If the image is black and white, it is considerably more difficult. Ideally, convert to black and white after processing through PP. If that's not possible, then use the View/Edit Skin area button and the extend and restore brushes to manually fix any areas that have been detected wrongly.

Tony

admin Wrote:There are two issues here:

It sounds like the purple overlay might be a bug that we are unaware of.  Is there any way of reliably reproducing it?  Either that or you've used a slider that is meant to add color (like the tan slider).  

The second issue is one that is fundamental.   Detecting skin areas is considerably helped by knowing the color of skin.  If the image is black and white, it is considerably more difficult.   Ideally, convert to black and white after processing through PP.   If that's not possible, then use the View/Edit Skin area button and the extend and restore brushes to manually fix any areas that have been detected wrongly.

Tony

If I get the 'touch up' problem I will always get the purple overlay problem. I haven't changed any of the sliders at that point.

If I get the problem I can do nothing about it and have to quit out of PP and discard changes

For the second part it is linked to the first part. If skin isn't detected and I use the extend/cut back option that immediately ruins the picture wherever it is extended.

I will reporoduce it and save a picture to demonstrate what I mean.

Regards

Darren.

I can reproduce your bug now, so no need to post a result. There are a few sliders that produce bad results with black and white images:

Fine Shadows
Remove Pores
Shine
Saturate
and the touchup brush.

I'll look in to fixing them. Setting those sliders to 0, and not using the touchup brush should get rid of the blue.

Tony

I've fixed the problems that I saw with black and white images. In order to get the fixes, go to "Check for Updates" in the Help menu.

When using Black and White images, the first thing you must do (after placing points) is check the skin selection, as it often fails when there is no skin color to look for, and that can make the sliders and touchup brush not work properly. The quickest way to make a reasonable skin selection is to click on "View/Edit Skin Area" in the Skin Controls. Then zoom out and use a large brush. The intelligence in the smart brush means that you don't need to be very accurate to get a good selection.

Tony