• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maximum Image size?
Hi,

the website lists that the x64 Bit version would not have any limitation on image size.

Actually I was not aware that there was a limit on the version I own - which is the PP Studio.

Can anybody state what the image size limitations are for each version?

Thanks - MacSass

PS: I was suprised to find out about the x64 version and think that the upgrade price is a bit steep, considering that other companies don´t charge for a 64 Bit version extra (e.g. MS, Adobe, etc.)

Hi,

There are limits on image size for pretty much all software, when you try to load an image larger than the amount of memory that can be allocated. For Portrait Professional the limits are pretty huge, so it will only be people with the most expensive cameras around now that might be affected.

As for the upgrade price, we are still a very cheap product, so you could look at it as we're not charging the extra costs of developing a 64 bit version to the majority of people who wouldn't need to load in huge files.

Tony

Thanks for the reply,

and right - so far I have not hit a limit yet on picture size, I was just wondering if I would for my upcoming 18 Megapixel camera.

And I agree that the overall pricing of PP is very reasonable - that´s what made me buy the studio version.

Regards and thanks - MacSas

18 Megapixels should be fine with any version of the software.

Tony

Since there is already a 64 bit plugin for Portrait Pro Studio v9 what are the advantages to upgrading to the 64 bit v9? Is it only the standalone tool that is changing or is the current 64 bit plugin limited in some way as well?

Thank you,

Steve

The support for 64 bit photoshop doesn't mean the Portrait Professional itself is 64bit, only the bit that attaches it to photoshop. When you run it as a plugin, that just activates a little bit of software that makes Portrait Professional run in plugin mode. This means you can run 64 bit photoshop with 32 bit Portrait Professional and vice versa. Does that make sense?

Tony

Tony,

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the quick reply.

Steve

admin Wrote:The support for 64 bit photoshop doesn't mean the Portrait Professional itself is 64bit, only the bit that attaches it to photoshop.  When you run it as a plugin, that just activates a little bit of software that makes Portrait Professional run in plugin mode.  This means you can run 64 bit photoshop with 32 bit Portrait Professional and vice versa.  Does that make sense?

Tony

admin Wrote:18 Megapixels should be fine with any version of the software.

Tony

If this is the case what is the point of paying the extra money for the 64Bit version?

As I stated in my other post (before I was directed to this one) I think the upgrade price is pretty steep and it is no cheaper for loyal customers to upgrade compared to what it would be if someone were to buy it as their first purchase and before someone corrects me, what I mean is the initial cost plus the upgrade cost is the same price as if someone were to buy the standalone 64 Bit version. Normally customers offer the upgrade cheaper for its loyal customers.

I think the software is great but it peeves me that we don't get any loyalty back in return for using it.

The 64 bit version is a high end version for people using very large images. Not everyone will need to pay the extra money for the 64 bit version. For the people who do need it I believe it is pretty cheap compared to the benefits they get. We know, for instance, how much extra in print sales wedding photographers make when using our product, and the upgrade cost will be easily paid for on day one!

As for loyalty, if we made it cheaper for people to buy studio then upgrade to 64 than to buy 64 initially, then everyone would do that. However, we do let existing customers purchase newer versions at a significant discount, a practice that other companies seem to be abandoning.

Tony

admin Wrote:As for loyalty, if we made it cheaper for people to buy studio then upgrade to 64 than to buy 64 initially, then everyone would do that.    However, we do let existing customers purchase newer versions at a significant discount, a practice that other companies seem to be abandoning.

Tony

I have just had a look on the PP webpage

Portrait Professional Studio 64 is £99 (On offer admittedly)

I bought Portrait Professional Studio for £60 (As it is priced now again on offer) and the upgrade is £45 (Rounding up)

£60 + £45 = £105 therefore more expensive by £6 than if I were to buy the full package as a new customer!

Also at the moment because PP Studio is priced at £35 at the moment so if a new customer were to buy it at that price then upgrade for £45 it is £80 so it is £14 cheaper to buy then upgrade so that contradicts your statement above!