• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PP Studio Max V12 crash problem
(06-15-2015, 04:27 PM)Gary Wrote:
(06-15-2015, 04:10 PM)sbozkus Wrote: It happens immediately as you click on (one of 3) save options. You don't see any change on screen (even your requested "save file name" popup window doesn't come). It just freezes right there and then. For about 4 seconds it doesn't even respond to "X" close corner button. After 4 seconds top window bar says "(not responding)". Then you can close it by "X" corner button. After that you can relaunch the SW but it'll crash exactly the same at same point.
Interesting enough; it decided to work today when I turned on my PC. It's luck of the day. Probably if I reboot now once again it'll decide not to work.
So you don't have any utility to trace / capture it's behaviour step by step? If you have so; you can send it to me. I can try to capture it's log file and send you details. Otherwise, looks like it'll just remain the same since you can't replicate it.
This is very helpful, so it's the file save dialog itself where the failure is happening. My immediate thought is that this is due to a shell extension installed in Windows that is executed in order to display the dialog.

Could you try this version and tell me if the crash is fixed:
http://cloudfront.portraitprofessional.c...etup64.exe

I installed it. But it doesn't accept my current token. If you can send me a good token via private email please.
Thanks

token sent, please let me know what happens

(06-15-2015, 10:55 PM)Gary Wrote: token sent, please let me know what happens

Slightly different reaction... In that; it also freezes about %70 of the chance. But the difference is; you close it / try it next (without rebooting); it might work. On my original version 12.4 it never worked (once it froze) till you do a reboot.
So I guess we can call it some improvement. But not the conclusion.

For the record; my PC has an AMD CPU (not sure if your software is using an interesting memory handling command where there might be a slight difference between Intel and AMD). I also have a dual monitor setup : one is 10-bit high end monitor, other one is usual 8-bit monitor. PP shows same reaction on either monitor.
These two points shouldn't have anything to do; as when it works - it works. Just wanted to mention.

(06-16-2015, 04:04 PM)sbozkus Wrote: For the record; my PC has an AMD CPU (not sure if your software is using an interesting memory handling command where there might be a slight difference between Intel and AMD).
Thanks for this. The problem is the file save dialog. This is the major difference between running as a Photoshop plug-in and stand-alone. When running as a plug-in there is no file save dialog needed.

It is very likely down to shell extensions that have been installed on your computer, and these get loaded in the file save dialog. I don't know if you want to try this, but you could find out which extension is causing the problem and disable it.
There is a program here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.ht...nloadLinks for doing this. Just download the zip and run the program in it.
You can see the company name listed for every extension, if it's microsoft just leave it but if it's some other company that you don't recognise then right click and disable it. You can always enable it again if there is no change running Portrait Pro.
Alternatively, if you don't want to do this yourself, then you can select all of the extensions, choose file/save selected items, and then send me the resulting text file so I can have a look.

(06-16-2015, 04:04 PM)sbozkus Wrote: For the record; my PC has an AMD CPU (not sure if your software is using an interesting memory handling command where there might be a slight difference between Intel and AMD).

A much quicker thing you could do, is send us the windows error report and that might tell us exactly what is going wrong.

To do this, run Windows Explorer and enter this into the address bar:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive

This will show you a list of directories containing crash reports. Sort them by date to get the new ones, and you should see Portrait Pro near the top. Choose Portrait Pro and send me the Report.wer file you see. You can attach it to a forum message here as there is no personal information stored in the crash report.

thanks
Gary

(06-16-2015, 05:49 PM)Gary Wrote:
Thanks for this. The problem is the file save dialog. This is the major difference between running as a Photoshop plug-in and stand-alone. When running as a plug-in there is no file save dialog needed.

It is very likely down to shell extensions that have been installed on your computer, and these get loaded in the file save dialog. I don't know if you want to try this, but you could find out which extension is causing the problem and disable it.
There is a program here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.ht...nloadLinks for doing this. Just download the zip and run the program in it.
You can see the company name listed for every extension, if it's microsoft just leave it but if it's some other company that you don't recognise then right click and disable it. You can always enable it again if there is no change running Portrait Pro.
Alternatively, if you don't want to do this yourself, then you can select all of the extensions, choose file/save selected items, and then send me the resulting text file so I can have a look.
I sent you the saved report from shexview. I have 293 items in that list and it'd be quite time consuming to try them one by one. Also the question is; shouldn't this be an item to fix in your code (with a more robust file save operation) instead of eliminating the other (potential) software on my PC. I have quite numerous software running on my PC and none has issue with file save.

(06-17-2015, 09:54 AM)Gary Wrote:

A much quicker thing you could do, is send us the windows error report and that might tell us exactly what is going wrong.

To do this, run Windows Explorer and enter this into the address bar:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive

This will show you a list of directories containing crash reports. Sort them by date to get the new ones, and you should see Portrait Pro near the top. Choose Portrait Pro and send me the Report.wer file you see. You can attach it to a forum message here as there is no personal information stored in the crash report.

thanks
Gary
I sent several files with PM

(06-18-2015, 12:37 AM)sbozkus Wrote: I sent several files with PM

Thank you all of this information!

We have a new download of Portrait Pro for you to try:

With this one you can open files using drag and drop, or if you use the file dialog you will probably have to select "all files" from the types of files to list.

Please let me know how you get on.

thanks
Gary

(06-18-2015, 09:54 PM)Gary Wrote:

With this one you can open files using drag and drop, or if you use the file dialog you will probably have to select "all files" from the types of files to list.

thanks
Gary

First few trials are good : no freeze on file save. I'll keep trying at different times for few days.
Previous version (12.4) was also able to open files using drag and drop. What I noticed with this version is; if you choose "Save" or "Save as" it comes with default tiff option (drop down doesn't list jpg or png as well). If you select "Save Jpg/Tiff/Png" option, then you can choose any format.
-----------------------------
Update after few days of testing : not a single freeze. So main problem is fixed. However I should elaborate: at some times (when I do file save); it takes few seconds to respond. It seems like it's "polling" my system at that moment - and waiting for some kind of response. At such moments I can even hear my NAS (network attached storage) hard disks spinning up (waking up from standby status). Once it gets it's required response; following file > save operations are almost instant. So as you mentioned; my PC might very well have a special shell extension installed. But the thing is; I never had a file>save issue with any other software on my system (including heavy hitters like Adobe Photoshop etc). So I still think that your code is utilizing a unique way of interacting with shell.

Anyhow; that's a livable solution for me. Would you be releasing a new version? (also covering my paid version: x64 PortraitPro Studio)> So I can switch back to it (since I didn't pay for Max version).
Thank you

I'm still expecting a final response to my last question

(06-18-2015, 10:21 PM)sbozkus Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 09:54 PM)Gary Wrote:

thanks
Gary

First few trials are good : no freeze on file save. I'll keep trying at different times for few days.
Previous version (12.4) was also able to open files using drag and drop. What I noticed with this version is; if you choose "Save" or "Save as" it comes with default tiff option (drop down doesn't list jpg or png as well). If you select "Save Jpg/Tiff/Png" option, then you can choose any format.
-----------------------------
Update after few days of testing : not a single freeze. So main problem is fixed. However I should elaborate: at some times (when I do file save); it takes few seconds to respond. It seems like it's "polling" my system at that moment - and waiting for some kind of response. At such moments I can even hear my NAS (network attached storage) hard disks spinning up (waking up from standby status). Once it gets it's required response; following file > save operations are almost instant. So as you mentioned; my PC might very well have a special shell extension installed. But the thing is; I never had a file>save issue with any other software on my system (including heavy hitters like Adobe Photoshop etc). So I still think that your code is utilizing a unique way of interacting with shell.

Anyhow; that's a livable solution for me. Would you be releasing a new version? (also covering my paid version: x64 PortraitPro Studio)> So I can switch back to it (since I didn't pay for Max version).
Thank you

(07-15-2015, 05:02 AM)sbozkus Wrote: I'm still expecting a final response to my last question

(06-18-2015, 10:21 PM)sbozkus Wrote: Update after few days of testing : not a single freeze. So main problem is fixed. However I should elaborate: at some times (when I do file save); it takes few seconds to respond. It seems like it's "polling" my system at that moment - and waiting for some kind of response. At such moments I can even hear my NAS (network attached storage) hard disks spinning up (waking up from standby status). Once it gets it's required response; following file > save operations are almost instant. So as you mentioned; my PC might very well have a special shell extension installed. But the thing is; I never had a file>save issue with any other software on my system (including heavy hitters like Adobe Photoshop etc). So I still think that your code is utilizing a unique way of interacting with shell.

Thank you

We prefer not to use the simple dialog for loading and saving as it has reduced functionality than the system dialog that causes problems for your setup. However after some more investigation we might make the simple dialog a settings option so that anyone who has this problem can use the software.

You are welcome to keep the Studio Max license that we gave you for free. This is the top of the Portrait Pro range and does everything that the Studio edition can do plus having full batch mode.

In terms of Photoshop, it would be interesting for us if you could try the Photoshop Elements free trial because that uses a similar framework to the one Portrait Pro uses, although it will be an older version of it. If you have time to do this we would be grateful if you could tell us if there are any open or save problems.

Also can you tell me what type of NAS drive you are using, and did you install any software into windows in order to use it?

thanks
Gary