• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flood fill for extending skin area
Hi,

lately I had to work on some pictures where models showed some more skin than on a portrait :-) - so in order to extend the skin area I had to brush over it a lot.
I know the brush is smart - so I can make it fairly large, but it would be nice if the brush would recognize a area to be filled and would offer a flood fill of it.
So I would only have to mark the outline of the skin area and the rest would be filled.

Very much like you do in Smart Photo Editor when selecting an area.

Regards - MacSass

(07-25-2012, 10:27 PM)MacSass Wrote: Hi,

lately I had to work on some pictures where models showed some more skin than on a portrait :-) - so in order to extend the skin area I had to bruch over it a lot.
I know the brush is smart - so I can make it fairly large, but it would be nice if the brush would recognize a area to be filled and would offer a flood fill of it.
So I would only have to mark the outline of the skin area and the rest would be filled.

Very much like you do in Smart Photo Editor when selecting an area.

Regards - MacSass

agreed,this will be a great time saver.

A tip I received from the support here was ....

zoom out so you photo i even smaller than screen area (can experiment). Set your brush to be a very small detector but maximum size (i.e. very small active area in the middle of the brush. Now position the center on your skin area (like a thigh for instance) - wait for it to select the correct large area (you may need to jiggle to get it to select properly) and then click. Repeat for all areas.

You can very quickly fill large areas this way - adjusting the zoom on the image to balance between being able to select correctly but getting maximum coverage.

I probably didn't explain that too well but with some trial and error you will find you can almost get the effect you are seeking.

I agree this needs work. There is a "full body" option accessed by pressing "recalculate skin area" but it often does only a partial selection especially if the skin has freckles, cellultite etc - i.e. it misses the bits that most need work Sad

Admin's suggestion doesn't work very well, the extend brush selects background & clothes as well as skin. I just edited a series of pale skinned models on a black background, this should be really easy for the software to detect skin only but it doesn't.

Strangely cut back does a reasonable job. Surely its not that hard to only add skin coloured areas to the selection.

I would actually like full body to be the default if it could be tweaked to work a bit better. Again this is easy for the software to detect... small face in large image = full body detection needed!

Hi again,

I´d like to bring that request up again, wondering if this is being considered.

I recently had to PP several full body pics and it is really cumbersome to outline the skin area zoomed in - then zoom out to fill the inner area, then zoom in again to do some clean up on the areas that have been wrongly marked.

Smart Photo Editor does a great job recognizing areas that have been outlined and can be filled - the same in PP would give me a lot of time saved.

Thanks - MacSass

MacSass, I agree with you!

I am in agreement too. As I have said many times before the recaculate skin area option leaves a lot to be desired.

My only concern would be that if the recaculate option cannot determine the skin areas I am guessing a flood fill would also struggle

(09-11-2013, 11:48 AM)Skids Wrote: My only concern would be that if the recaculate option cannot determine the skin areas I am guessing a flood fill would also struggle

Hi Skids,
my proposal would be a semi automatic floodfill - like Smart Photo Editor does it:
You would have to highlight / mark the outline of the skin erea (e.g. a leg) yourself and as soon as PP would recognize you have marked a closed area it offers a flood fill for it - so you don´t have to zoom out and "fill" the outline.
This would not need an enhancement on skin detection algorithm.

Maybe take a look at Smart Photo Editor to have a better idea.

Although a simple "flood fill" for detection of skin area might be helpful as well, so in fact having both would be good to satisfy our needs.

I hope that some of the admins / developers comments on our proposal.

Best regards - MacSass

(04-20-2013, 12:30 AM)leok Wrote: I agree this needs work. There is a "full body" option accessed by pressing "recalculate skin area" but it often does only a partial selection especially if the skin has freckles, cellultite etc - i.e. it misses the bits that most need work Sad

Admin's suggestion doesn't work very well, the extend brush selects background & clothes as well as skin. I just edited a series of pale skinned models on a black background, this should be really easy for the software to detect skin only but it doesn't.

Strangely cut back does a reasonable job. Surely its not that hard to only add skin coloured areas to the selection.

I would actually like full body to be the default if it could be tweaked to work a bit better. Again this is easy for the software to detect... small face in large image = full body detection needed!

I am on V12 where is this full body option please.

Cool 
Hi,
unfortunately it is still not available - no progress for this in V12 Sad

Regards - MacSass