• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More suggestions - don't auto select hair. and more....
Another two things popped up that are frustrating I'm hoping you could tweak in version 8.

(1) Don't auto select the hair area (turning hair purple) when I merely select "show hair controls". Everywhere else, selecting "show xxx controls" merely expands the section, but for some reason, this one section turns on showing the purple hair area to be affected & it stays on when I hide the tools. Maybe you are trying to draw attention to fact that PP always selects the hair area wrong? Wink The Skin controls don't work this way, you need to manually toggle on showing the affected skin area.
Choices are:
(a) Don't toggle on the affected hair area by default when you choose "show hair controls". So it works like the skin controls.
(b) Toggle it off again when you choose "hide hair controls?" <-- I'd do this anyway
© Consider NOT selecting a default hair area at all... it's always wrong. Instead have the user manually select it from scratch.

2) I still find it confusing where to move the selection points on someone's open mouth. Your sample guide photo doesn't have a "gummy" smile. Do I move the line to the inside of the lip, or to just above the teeth?

btw, I miss the "closed mouth" option. It was simpler than trying to manually drag the mouth selection points "closed"

Thanks!
Brandon

Hi,

1) We tried a lot of things when developing the hair controls. The reasons it works like this is because we found people simply didn't understand what what going on without showing them the mask in the hair controls. It is different from skin controls, because, as you say, it always gets it wrong (hair is a lot more tricky than skin to find because it's shape varies by a lot), so to make dramatic changes to the hair you need to fix it. However, I agree that this way of working is frustrating once you understand what is going on, so perhaps it should be a setting for the user to change? What do other people think?

A tip is, if you are only making subtle changes, try not changing it, as you don't need an accurate selection area to get a good result. It's also worth pointing out, to people that haven't discovered it yet, that the brushes automatically avoid going over edges, so a large brush can quickly select the hair area.

2) The mouth lines should always follow the lips. Because Portrait Professional automatically moves points that are not set, to close the mouth, you only need to move the middle point of the inner lip points so it reaches the other lip line.

One thing worth pointing out is that the mouth lines only need to be accurate if you are making dramatic changes to the mouth, and even then you don't need to be pixel perfect to get a great result.

bmilner Wrote:Another two things popped up that are frustrating I'm hoping you could tweak in version 8.

(1) Don't auto select the hair area (turning hair purple) when I merely select "show hair controls". Everywhere else, selecting "show xxx controls" merely expands the section, but for some reason, this one section turns on showing the purple hair area to be affected & it stays on when I hide the tools. Maybe you are trying to draw attention to fact that PP always selects the hair area wrong? Wink The Skin controls don't work this way, you need to manually toggle on showing the affected skin area.
Choices are:
(a) Don't toggle on the affected hair area by default when you choose "show hair controls". So it works like the skin controls.
(b) Toggle it off again when you choose "hide hair controls?" <-- I'd do this anyway
© Consider NOT selecting a default hair area at all... it's always wrong. Instead have the user manually select it from scratch.

2) I still find it confusing where to move the selection points on someone's open mouth. Your sample guide photo doesn't have a "gummy" smile. Do I move the line to the inside of the lip, or to just above the teeth?

btw, I miss the "closed mouth" option. It was simpler than trying to manually drag the mouth selection points "closed"

Thanks!
Brandon

I agree that the hair situation is a little frustrating....I'm always having to "cut back" areas that aren't anywhere near where the hair on someones head is...I had a xmas angel two feet down on the mantle lit up with the hair from my grandchild...as was the pocket on her fathers coat...and the pocket wasn't even touching her hair?

Maybe some set points to adjust to tell the software the general area the hair is and isn't located.

At the very least, the software shouldn't be selecting non contiguous areas as being hair? I'm noticing that 85% of the time, it randomly adds some "hair" around the edges of the photo, or in the corners or edges, nowhere near the face. I usually don't notice it until I start moving the sliders and think "hey, why is that desk suddenly getting redder?"

A good assumption to start with is the hair is connected to the face. Users can manually had more hair that was behind a scarf etc.