• ¡Welcome to the PortraitPro Forum!
  • Portrait Professional is now PortraitPro!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A number of issues I don't see on Forums
I did a Senior Picture photo shoot and the subject had extremely bad acne.  On a referral I used the trial of the product and it seemed to work well.   I'm using a Canon 5d (12.8Mpx) and Photoshop CS3 for a number of years with no issues.  I purchased PP Max and ran it through the paces and have a number of issues.

1.  I edit the photograph from dng in CS3 as necessary, then save in .RAW format.  When I try to open the file in PP I get a file corrupt error message.  However I can open the .raw file in CS3.    As I HAVE to use lossless (or no) compressions that leaves me only with TIFF uncompressed to export to for use in PP which is less than ideal (see 2nd issue.)   I can open the unedited from camera .dng file, but not the .raw.  The package clearly stated that it works with RAW images, so I must be missing something.    

2. This is an much more serious issue.  I open a .dng (from the 5d) in PP and have no pixelization.  As soon as I edit the photo I immediately see pixelization (especially in areas I have blown out and other subtle gradiants.)    When I save the picture out (in TIFF uncompressed) the pixelization is in the picture.  As most of my pictures (thousands) are often blown up to 8x10 or larger the pixelization is horribly noticeable to the point I cannot sell them.   (For reference I can open the .dng in CS3 and modify far far beyond logical limits with no issues.)
I have seen this issue before outside of PP, but was related to image compression of the files.    Since I am using native .dng and saving to uncompressed tiff I should have no issue with this, but I do.
Is there image compression settings I am missing, or are the algorithms being ran of the images messing the image data up (as it appears.)  

3. Oh yes, when editing .dng (or any other large file) about 1/3 of the time the program closes with a fatal exception after heavy editing (fully updated XP).   I have never had any issues with any other app (CS3 + Bridge and often 3 or 4 others at the same time) on my system crashing out.  Is this a known issue?  

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hello hailiriley,

The .raw files supported by Portrait Professional Max are the Panasonic .raw format files. We will look into the Adobe .raw file support which we were unaware of until now.

The current versions of Portrait Professional Max do not fully support the Adobe DNG format, but this support is being added to the next major release of the software. At the moment we recommend not using DNG files with Portrait Professional because the picture information decoded will sometimes be a lower resolution version of the original picture, as you are finding.

A solution for you would be to save .tiff files from CS3 instead of the Adobe .raw files. These tiff files will then decode with full resolution into Portrait Professional Max, also avoiding any problems with DNG files.

For the crashing issue with large files, could you let me know the pixel size of the images that cause the problem? We have tested the software up to 30 megapixels without any problems, but beyond that there can be issues with memory. Similar problems are caused when running some Adobe programs, such as CS3, alongside Portrait Professional where the Adobe program will consume most of the windows resources and cause Portrait Professional to fail.

regards,
Gary
Anthropics

Hello Hailiriley,

In addition to Gary's comments, I also noticed you posted a picture of a nose, which appears to have a line running down it. I think this is caused by using the shape sliders. When you see an artifact like this it usually can be fixed by adjusting the markup. In many cases the issue is actually trying too hard to get the markup precise. The only times where you need to be precise is if you want to use the sliders in the eyes or the mouth section, in which case you need to be precise about the eyes or the mouth respectively. For all the other points try just leaving them where the computer places them and you may end up with a better result! The next version of the software will try and be a bit more helpful in this respect.

Tony