Portrait Pro Forums
Lightroom integration - Printable Version

+- Portrait Pro Forums (https://forum.portraitprofessional.com)
+-- Forum: PortraitPro software (https://forum.portraitprofessional.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Frequently Asked Questions (https://forum.portraitprofessional.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Installing and upgrading (https://forum.portraitprofessional.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Lightroom integration (/showthread.php?tid=3837)

Lightroom integration - jjaylad - 03-30-2014

I'm a newbie with Studio Pro. Took me 3 days to get it to upgrade and install correctly so had lots of problems.
Finally got it going and can take photos into it directly from Lightroom but after editing and saving ...the edited photos don't show up in Lightroom the way they do if edited in Photoshop or other plugins. Instead I have to start the import dialog, find them in the catalog and import them. After importing they no longer have their original Exif and won't sort or otherwise organize in the normal fashion. They end up at the very end of the film strip or grid so to even get them next to the original to compare, all the 'pairs' need to be uniquely flagged then the whole shoot has to be filtered on those flags. Really ...as much time spent on all that ...as it takes to edit them, and if those flags need to be used for other things the images have to all go into a collection for later reference or else all that time will be necessary to pair them up again. Arggggghhh.

Is there a setup step I may have missed?

RE: Lightroom integration - tebogan - 03-31-2014

(03-30-2014, 08:38 PM)jjaylad Wrote: I'm a newbie with Studio Pro. Took me 3 days to get it to upgrade and install correctly so had lots of problems.
Finally got it going and can take photos into it directly from Lightroom but after editing and saving ...the edited photos don't show up in Lightroom the way they do if edited in Photoshop or other plugins. Instead I have to start the import dialog, find them in the catalog and import them. After importing they no longer have their original Exif and won't sort or otherwise organize in the normal fashion. They end up at the very end of the film strip or grid so to even get them next to the original to compare, all the 'pairs' need to be uniquely flagged then the whole shoot has to be filtered on those flags. Really ...as much time spent on all that ...as it takes to edit them, and if those flags need to be used for other things the images have to all go into a collection for later reference or else all that time will be necessary to pair them up again. Arggggghhh.

Could you go through your workflow that you do for your images that you are going to use with PP so that we may further look into this matter and so that techs can see what is happening for you. Also need the OS you are working with and version of LR.

RE: Lightroom integration - williamting - 03-31-2014

I thought the problem described by jjaylad was only in the older version of PP. It shouldn't be appearing anymore.

RE: Lightroom integration - tebogan - 03-31-2014

(03-31-2014, 05:35 AM)williamting Wrote: I thought the problem described by jjaylad was only in the older version of PP. It shouldn't be appearing anymore.

Hopefully when he replies, he will also state what version of PP he is using.

RE: Lightroom integration - jjaylad - 03-31-2014

(03-31-2014, 01:18 AM)tebogan Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 08:38 PM)jjaylad Wrote: I'm a newbie with Studio Pro. Took me 3 days to get it to upgrade and install correctly so had lots of problems.

Could you go through your workflow that you do for your images that you are going to use with PP so that we may further look into this matter and so that techs can see what is happening for you. Also need the OS you are working with and version of LR.

I think it is partially solved. I've shut down and restarted so that may have helped some but there is still a problem.
Here's the workflow:
Do some basic stuff in LR
Select Edit In - PP
At that point a new Tiff is created and placed alongside my original RAW or JPG
A new window of PP opens (even if the last one used is still open)
The image appears in that.
I make the adjustments there. (it actually does a pretty good job unattended and so far has hardly missed anything except for one photo where the subject took up less than approx 7% of the frame. On that one I went through the select points drill.
When it is done I 'Save' the image, selecting the 16 bit Tiff option with compression.
I go back to LR and the image doesn't show up there
I have to go to the Catalog module and select Import, then navigate to the folder it is in (same folder as the original) and import it. After that it now ends up beside the other two whereas earlier they were ending up at the very end of the folder and couldn't even be sorted. Not knowing what the program would do before I had made Virtual Copies before exporting to PP ...so perhaps that had something to do with them losing all their Exif and not sorting correctly. The last two I did, were originals and the '_edit.pp.tiffs' do contain the exif and date etc.
Anyway once I've imported the new one I have 3 versions of the file ...the Original, the Tiff that was created to edit in PP plus the New Tiff that was edited in PP.
I don't understand why the edited Tiff isn't coming into LR. In the set-up I specified 'stack with original' but all it is doing is keeping the one created to edit in PP beside the original and the new one just gets saved to the original folder. Time consuming. Also, the one created to export has to be deleted so that I'm not working in the Department of Redundancy Department.
Seems like I might have to force PP to save the file with the original name and not add pp. Also it seems to start off as 8 bit so maybe by changing it to 16 bit I'm causing the new file to be created that isn't recognized by LR until I import it. Could that be the problem?

RE: Lightroom integration - Bill Homel - 07-08-2014

(03-31-2014, 07:51 AM)jjaylad Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 01:18 AM)tebogan Wrote:

I think it is partially solved. I've shut down and restarted so that may have helped some but there is still a problem.
Here's the workflow:
Do some basic stuff in LR
Select Edit In - PP
At that point a new Tiff is created and placed alongside my original RAW or JPG
A new window of PP opens (even if the last one used is still open)
The image appears in that.
I make the adjustments there. (it actually does a pretty good job unattended and so far has hardly missed anything except for one photo where the subject took up less than approx 7% of the frame. On that one I went through the select points drill.
When it is done I 'Save' the image, selecting the 16 bit Tiff option with compression.
I go back to LR and the image doesn't show up there
I have to go to the Catalog module and select Import, then navigate to the folder it is in (same folder as the original) and import it. After that it now ends up beside the other two whereas earlier they were ending up at the very end of the folder and couldn't even be sorted. Not knowing what the program would do before I had made Virtual Copies before exporting to PP ...so perhaps that had something to do with them losing all their Exif and not sorting correctly. The last two I did, were originals and the '_edit.pp.tiffs' do contain the exif and date etc.
Anyway once I've imported the new one I have 3 versions of the file ...the Original, the Tiff that was created to edit in PP plus the New Tiff that was edited in PP.
I don't understand why the edited Tiff isn't coming into LR. In the set-up I specified 'stack with original' but all it is doing is keeping the one created to edit in PP beside the original and the new one just gets saved to the original folder. Time consuming. Also, the one created to export has to be deleted so that I'm not working in the Department of Redundancy Department.
Seems like I might have to force PP to save the file with the original name and not add pp. Also it seems to start off as 8 bit so maybe by changing it to 16 bit I'm causing the new file to be created that isn't recognized by LR until I import it. Could that be the problem?

I just upgraded from Portrait Professional Studio 64 v10.8 to Portrait Pro Studio Max v12.2 for 64 bit windows. I am having the same problem that JJaylad has. However, v10.8 worked properly with Lightroom 5.

RE: Lightroom integration - AngAT - 07-08-2014

To make the image return to Lightroom from the Portrait Pro plug-in, can you open the stand-alone program of Portrait Pro Studio Max > File > Settings > make sure the Auto plug-in mode is ticked.

RE: Lightroom integration - Bill Homel - 07-09-2014

Thanksaton AngAT!!!! It works great now!
Have a good day!
Bill Homel

RE: Lightroom integration - AngAT - 07-09-2014

No problem, glad to have helped. Enjoy the rest of the week!

(07-09-2014, 02:58 AM)Bill Homel Wrote: Thanksaton AngAT!!!! It works great now!
Have a good day!
Bill Homel

RE: Lightroom integration - Linda - 07-04-2015

Hello … I have just installed Portrait Pro Studio 12 (64 bit)
I realize this is an old thread but here goes ….
I am dealing with the same situation … unable to round trip back into Lightroom 5. Unfortunetly, this fix isn't working for me.

When I installed, I choose for PP to run in both PSE and LR. I did not choose Aperture. I have the "auto plug-in mode" selected and I am selecting "save" once I am done editing. The edited file saves to the original imported folder but they do not open back in LR. (I am processing a "copy with Lightroom adjustments" as well)?

Mac 10.8.5
Lightroom 5.7

I sure hope this thread isn't dead ….

Please help … thank you,
Linda

edit to add: I have since fixed this problem, thank you anyway.

Under PP preferences - settings - general - I deselected "Don't save over original image file" and under "user interface settings" I selected "show enhance skin only"
I don't know what this did but it allowed the "return via plugin" option to show on the main page (which I had never seen before) which then allowed me to "save" the edited file back into LR.
All is good!