Portrait Pro Forums
skin selection - Printable Version

+- Portrait Pro Forums (https://forum.portraitprofessional.com)
+-- Forum: PortraitPro software (https://forum.portraitprofessional.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Feature requests (https://forum.portraitprofessional.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: skin selection (/showthread.php?tid=2564)

Pages: 1 2

skin selection - yklee - 08-10-2011

wonder if it is possible to have a dropper to sample the skin during the selection process to aid in the selection process. the selection done usually with the current options usually,for me, leaves a lot of places unselected. can be quite tedious to brush in the skin area for a full body pic.

RE: skin selection - Gary - 08-10-2011

The skin area brush is a "smart brush" that is continually sampling the skin colors under center of the brush and then selecting those colors over the whole size of the brush.

You might notice that the brush is shown as two concentric circles and its the inner circle that skin colors are selected from, and the outer circle is the overall brush size.

Gary

RE: skin selection - yklee - 08-10-2011

hi Gary,dont know if we are on the same page.what i was referring to is that, after we have selected the show skin and also after changing the selection option to full body,there are still lots of skin areas that are not selected.so one will have to use the brush manually to brush in those areas.

my suggestion, was to have a sampler dropper that when we use that to click on the skin,the selection would be better. admittedly,there will still be areas not selected but hopefully these areas will be lesser.

hope u understand what i am trying to say. Tongue dont get me wrong,PP is a great program. i do use it quite a lot...was just thinking if that will speed up the skin selection process.

Do you mean that you click on any unselected area of skin, and then the software automatically fills in areas of the same skin color without you having to use the brush?

RE: skin selection - yklee - 08-10-2011

(08-10-2011, 12:23 PM)Gary Wrote: Do you mean that you click on any unselected area of skin, and then the software automatically fills in areas of the same skin color without you having to use the brush?

yes,that is what i meant.when u click on any unselected area,the sampler would select areas with the same texture.this would most probably leave lesser area to be brush in.
Would be good to have that tool.

We have tried methods such as that. Using flood filling techniques really isn't the best way of selecting an area of skin. The skin isn't all one color, or even close to being one color. A fill will just get to an edge that is not correct and it then needs more manual adjustment than using the "smart brush" that we have now.

You might like to try the free trial of our other product here:
http://www.smartphotoeditor.com/

This has some other selection tools because it is for selecting more than just skin areas. We we have really thought about this and think what we have in Portrait Professional is the best tool available for selecting skin.

Gary

RE: skin selection - yklee - 08-11-2011

ok,thanks.

RE: skin selection - Skids - 09-01-2011

I find the skin selection algorithms are not great. I have been working on some images where the person is against a grey background and the colours etc are correct therefore the skin areas are obvious to the human eye but when I select full body I find I have to still paint in a lot of skin areas, in some cases nearly all of it. Then the next picture which is almost identical, skin selection will work fine so I don't understand why the selection areas vary so much.

RE: skin selection - Skids - 10-22-2011

(09-01-2011, 11:57 AM)Skids Wrote: I find the skin selection algorithms are not great. I have been working on some images where the person is against a grey background and the colours etc are correct therefore the skin areas are obvious to the human eye but when I select full body I find I have to still paint in a lot of skin areas, in some cases nearly all of it. Then the next picture which is almost identical, skin selection will work fine so I don't understand why the selection areas vary so much.

It seems like the Portrait Professional people simply choose to ignore the comments!

RE: skin selection - Salisbury - 10-23-2011

You're obviously displeased with this software that I (personallly) think you should just go somewhere else to find what you're really looking for ......... the folks at Anthropics have bent over backwards to meet everyone's expectations .......... BUT ............. with users like you WHY SHOULD THEY BOTHER ??