Portrait Pro Forums

Full Version: Brush tool not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am starting to think there is something wrong with meeee.

Please help.

When I start with a photograph and the first edit is done, the opacity is often dialed all the way to 100% which is a bit much.

Once I dial opacity back, I cannot use the brush tool anymore. At. All. I tried turning off the Face Sculpt control because I also read in a previous thread that that would work. But it's not working.

So basically I have a beautiful headshot and I don't need the skin to be unusually smooth, so dialed back the opacity from 100% to 21 and WHAM...no way to take care of some spots on her face. The brush tool simply doesn't do anything. I do have the brush strength at 100% and such...

Anyone? Probably somethign really simple but I am new to Portrait Professional.
just a bit of clarification,when u say u dial back opacity and brush strength at 100%,is this at your editing program or in portrait professional?
It's in PP standalone version
oh,i'm using the studio edition.this options are not available there,i guess.
(09-06-2011, 12:24 AM)ulliklein Wrote: [ -> ]I am starting to think there is something wrong with meeee.

Please help.

When I start with a photograph and the first edit is done, the opacity is often dialed all the way to 100% which is a bit much.

Once I dial opacity back, I cannot use the brush tool anymore. At. All. I tried turning off the Face Sculpt control because I also read in a previous thread that that would work. But it's not working.

So basically I have a beautiful headshot and I don't need the skin to be unusually smooth, so dialed back the opacity from 100% to 21 and WHAM...no way to take care of some spots on her face. The brush tool simply doesn't do anything. I do have the brush strength at 100% and such...

Hello ulliklein,

Your issue is occurring because you have set the opacity to 21. The Brush itself is working, but the effect is not visible as the reduced opacity makes the changes more transparent. You'll notice that the areas you've used the touch up brush on will be over-edited if you set the opacity back up to 100. A good workaround to deal with the blemishes and maintain the reduced opacity is to increase the spot removal sensitivity.

Hope this is of some help.
(09-06-2011, 10:43 AM)Arjun Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2011, 12:24 AM)ulliklein Wrote: [ -> ]I am starting to think there is something wrong with meeee.

Please help.

Hello ulliklein,

Your issue is occurring because you have set the opacity to 21. The Brush itself is working, but the effect is not visible as the reduced opacity makes the changes more transparent. You'll notice that the areas you've used the touch up brush on will be over-edited if you set the opacity back up to 100. A good workaround to deal with the blemishes and maintain the reduced opacity is to increase the spot removal sensitivity.

Hope this is of some help.

Hi there!

Thank you for your response.

It seems opacity at 100 is the default, correct? There are many times where I want to maintain lines and wrinkles for the natural look but get rid of a red spot or other blemishes....Opacity at 100 is way too much for anyone over 30 if you know what I mean...

So...if I set the opacity under skin control to 21 (less than 100), but I leave the brush strength at 100...you are saying there is no way it would work because that affects the brush as well?

I find it really difficult to edit some of the smaller blemishes out while maintaining people's natural spots/marks on the face. For example: the default 100 skin opactity took out a facial scar of one of my clients...I have to find a way to maintain the scar but get rid of some of her pimples...seems to be difficult to do.....any advice or just time to turn on Aperture or photoshop?
Hi ulliklein,

The opacity slider is the most recent addition to Portrait Professional, having been added in 10.5.1, the latest version. However, in the specific example you gave of the facial scar, a good way to keep the scar and enhance the skin around it is to use the restore brush on the scar to make it visible again. This way blemishes are removed automatically, but key identifying features can also be maintained without having to significantly decrease the opacity slider values.

Hope this helps.
That helps. Rather simple and I hadn't thought of it! Thank you!