Portrait Pro Forums

Full Version: less than full face
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it possible to use pp with a profile shot? If so, how would you bypass one eye selection, etc? Also, is it better to do other editing before or after the pp conversion?
I just bought the program an hour ago after playing with the demo last night and I already love it. It will save hours in photoshop. Thanks
Hi,

Portrait professional is designed to work up to 3/4 view faces. However, you can go beyond that by 'cheating', but you will loose some functionality. To get a fully profile shot to work, mark up the visible side of the face as normal, but mark up the initial points on the other side of the face as if they were visible, i.e. put the obscured eye where it would be in a front on shot, on the other side of the nose. This means you will be able to get through the markup stage. There are two problems with this, but both can be easily worked around. Firstly, the face sculpting controls do not work beyond a certain amount of turning, so you may need to turn them all off (which can be done by pressing the clear button). Secondly, by telling the software that the face extends beyond it's real position, the face selection area may have 'escaped' from the face. Click on the 'Cut Back', brush to reveal the skin area, and use the brush to remove any blue that has gone beyond the edge of the face.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you want any more tips.

Tony
I was going to ask about this..By the way I love the software. Personally I find the defaults to work great.
Is there any way you can post of photo to illustrate what you mean ?
Sorry but I am not quite following what you are saying.

Thanks !!
Ed

admin Wrote:Hi,

Portrait professional is designed to work up to 3/4 view faces.  However, you can go beyond that by 'cheating', but you will loose some functionality.  To get a fully profile shot to work, mark up the visible side of the face as normal, but mark up the initial points on the other side of the face as if they were visible, i.e. put the obscured eye where it would be in a front on shot, on the other side of the nose.  This means you will be able to get through the markup stage.  There are two problems with this, but both can be easily worked around. Firstly, the face sculpting controls do not work beyond a certain amount of turning, so you may need to turn them all off (which can be done by pressing the clear button). Secondly, by telling the software that the face extends beyond it's real position, the face selection area may have 'escaped' from the face. Click on the 'Cut Back', brush to reveal the skin area, and use the brush to remove any blue that has gone beyond the edge of the face.  

Hope that helps.   Let me know if you want any more tips.

Tony
Of course, attached is an example of how you could markup a side on face, along with the result you get. You can see how I 'pretend' there is an eye in shot by placing the points where it would be. In this case the face sculpting worked pretty well even though it was a profile shot. I also brought some detail out of the background (which was lost because of the flash) using the fill shadows slider. You will also notice that the markup isn't very accurate which is a topic I've mentioned before. The markup doesn't have to be accurate to get good results.

The picture I used as an example is a creative commons licensed picture from flickr. You can see the original here.

Tony
Now it makes sense thanks !!!!
cool - I was just going to inquire about this very subject.. profiles..
no way of adding that to type shots female/male/profile..?

regards
George
Support for Profile shots is under discussion for including in the next version.

Tony
admin Wrote:Support for Profile shots is under discussion for including in the next version.

Tony

Excellent - may the discussion end on a positive note -
George
(11-26-2008, 03:46 PM)georgeczar Wrote: [ -> ]
admin Wrote:Support for Profile shots is under discussion for including in the next version.

Tony

Excellent - may the discussion end on a positive note -
George

Yes, please! Profile shots definitely. I'm trying to touchup a sexy pic where the girl's hair is draped across one eye. hard to do with the current software restrictions. Otherwise though, your product is excellent.

(09-01-2007, 12:54 PM)dlanter Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to use pp with a profile shot? If so, how would you bypass one eye selection, etc? Also, is it better to do other editing before or after the pp conversion?
I just bought the program an hour ago after playing with the demo last night and I already love it. It will save hours in photoshop. Thanks

I asked similar question that might help Smile
Pages: 1 2